Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer DDX3216 Probs w faders - and noise

Hi everybody,

this is a nice forum with a friendly & constructive athmosphere - thanks to all!

7 month ago, I bought this digital mixer - used, made in 2010 (so it's a newer one)
    It looks great when I got it, almost no marks of use.
    We used it some months now, ~1 hour a day in maximum. And we love it! Yes, nowadays everybody uses DAW's and software stuff (me too) - but e.g. for in-ear-monitoring while practicing drums using many microphones, other inputs, compressors, effects, the DDX is perfect and (probably some never wouldn't say that!) easy-to-use!

A few days ago, some faders (esp. those stereo-paired) began moving to zero, one after another, in short quick steps. Also, a noise could be heard at the headphones. And soon, many faders (esp. those are paired) began moving down, also, if you put them up.
    Remarkable: The fader positions in the display (every fader has ist own representation there) show maximum/+12dB! Every fader!
    Other faders run quickly to 0dB, others slowly, and others got to wrong positions.
    If I recall a snapshot, all the faders move to zero quickly - which is wrong. All the other fader positions (CH17-32, AUX SENDS, ...) aren't correct.

I tried a reset (holding CHAN1-16 + SETUP while switching power on) - no result.

Very remarkable is the fader calibration procedure (holding all four black buttons right to the display while switching power on) - after a while it shows the Error message "Fader calibration -- paths of faders have to be clear -- one or more faders wrong".
    I am sure that there was never any object in the faders ways. They seemed to be clean; when I got it, there wasn't any piece of dust on it. Nevertheless, I sprayed some quality special electronic contact cleaning spray at the faders - but no result. (Meanwhile, I read in another forum that this wasn't a good idea...).

I opened the mixer, had a look to all the stuff inside (big thanks to PLZILandia v5.0 - Recapping DDX3216) - but found no indication for a failure. I also took a look in the SMPS power supply - but particulary the caps were looking OK.

What do you think? Could the symptoms come from a defect PSU?
    What about the other often-called source of error, the crystal Q3?

The firmware is the newest, 1.12

I contacted the Behringer support (UK) - friendly and quick, but no constructive result.

Thanks in advance, greets from germany [sorry for not-perfect english)
    Rosound

hi!

did you ever solve this issue?
    regards, brin

Comment

As a technician, just thinking about the DDX3216 gives me a headache.

But my experience with them is that MANY of the problems in the unit, especially around the faders is loose ribbon cables. There are a bunch of them inside, and when you open the unit, if I recall correctly ther is one fairly short one that can pull out as you lift the panel. In any case, I would start by reseating all teh ribbons. Can't hurt, and might help.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X