Bright Switch/Cap Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright Switch/Cap Wiring

Hi all...Would someone be nice enough to draw a diagram for me?

I have a 500 pf.treble cap mounted on the pcb of my amp and I want to add a spst switch that would allow me to add another 150 pf. cap in parallel.

I want 500 pf.stock value and then 650 pf.with the switch engaged..

I've just never seemed to grasp how to wire a switch into circuits...

Much appreciated all.

Here's a quicky as I don't have any fancy schematic programs.
    Original cap is the bottom one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	parallelbright.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	843409
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Works for me.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Here's a quicky as I don't have any fancy schematic programs.
        Original cap is the bottom one.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]40381[/ATTACH]
        Thank you...So simple but I'm an idiot....LOL

Comment

It's always nice to have a place to join a wire and a component. The attached schematic shows how you can remove the 500pF cap from the PCB so there is a place to solder wires. A SPDT switch is used to give you an extra terminal and both caps mount on the switch. This also makes it easier to change one or both caps without having to remove the PCB.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Brite_SW.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	843410
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
            It's always nice to have a place to join a wire and a component. The attached schematic shows how you can remove the 500pF cap from the PCB so there is a place to solder wires. A SPDT switch is used to give you an extra terminal and both caps mount on the switch. This also makes it easier to change one or both caps without having to remove the PCB.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]40382[/ATTACH]
            Thanks again for your help pal...I was trying to keep from lifting the pcb again if possible,but if I have to....I will..

Having the caps on the switch is way better though.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]40382[/ATTACH]
              The bright switch seems to work but is very subtle.I may need to raise that 150 pf up to say 220 pf so I can notice a difference on the switch?

Seems like it adds a bit more mids and a slight presence?

Comment

The difference between 500p and 650p is truly not that great. A factor of 2 (500p to 1n) will be obvious, some tweaking of the value will be required if you have a target tone in mind. I've seen designs with a rotary switch, so that 4 or more options are available on the fly. Usually reserved for experimental rigs!

If the 150p comes out, you may want to replace it with a couple leads with alligator clips (assuming you don't have HV in that part of the circuit!) so you can find the value that you want at your leisure. Then put it in permanently.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                  The difference between 500p and 650p is truly not that great. A factor of 2 (500p to 1n) will be obvious, some tweaking of the value will be required if you have a target tone in mind. I've seen designs with a rotary switch, so that 4 or more options are available on the fly. Usually reserved for experimental rigs!

If the 150p comes out, you may want to replace it with a couple leads with alligator clips (assuming you don't have HV in that part of the circuit!) so you can find the value that you want at your leisure. Then put it in permanently.
                  Yes and agreed....I was kinda leaning towards another 500 pf which would give me a .001 value.

I do have a capacitor substitution box that I can alligator clip across the stock 500 pf. and I can see what I Like.

I also know that as we go higher on the treble cap values,that it starts affecting the mids some.

I def want to hear a difference upon switching in that second cap!

Thanks again all for helping me with this.

Comment

Working...
                  X