Am I going to Hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to Hell?

I just fixed a Mesa Walkabout that needed a TL072 op amp. I charged $50 for the repair and $10 for the part, and $5 for shipping since I didn't have one on hand. Is this out of line? Customer OK'd the estimate beforehand, and hasn't come to pick up yet.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

If he OK'd the estimate, then there's nothing to worry about. IMO, he got a good deal. I do find that "what you can charge" is regionally based. Some shops can charge more- some less. It depends on competition, reputation, demographics, location, turn around time, etc., etc. What I can charge in SD may be quite bit different than what you can charge in FL, so it's difficult to say what's "right". As far as myself, if I'm going to hell, there are plenty of other offenses to choose from.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You'll find out soon enough.

If the next job that comes in is from an impatient and critical customer who is complaining of an intermittent fault that you cannot reproduce no matter what you do, then yes, you are in hell.
      Last edited by nickb; 08-31-2016, 08:02 AM.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

...... and he wants it done tomorrow.

Comment

I worked for a shop for years that was sold to new owners. The new owners saw a gold mine in parts. Usually a cheap IC there isn't a problem with an astronomical, especially if you use the supplier inventory number (and the circuit designation... IC 2, etc) and not the generic part number on the invoice. BUT... when you start charging $5-10 for a $.05 1/4 watt resistor and the customer knows what resistors cost then it's a nightmare. A lot of shops also have a misc fee for solder, solvents, etc. Some charge for an AC leakage test and a sticker it was done. If I had to use Chip Quick there was an additional charge. If a unit was extremely dirty, an extra charge. You get the picture. If the customers are happy and you can sleep at night, it's whatever the traffic will bare. What would piss me off was when the management would add parts to an invoice that were not installed. When you are doing thousands of repairs and you do it every out of warranty invoice, it adds up I guess.

Comment

You won't be going to hell. You'll be going to heaven for fixing the amp at a reasonable price but there will be a short stay in limbo for charging $10 for a TL072 when you should have charged $1 for it and added the $10 to the cost of the job. It's your skill they are paying for so charge for that. Don't mark up the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              A lot of shops also have a misc fee for solder, solvents, etc.
              Local Firestone shop charges $2.50 for every squirt of WD-40. Crikeys, if I charged $2.50 for every squirt of D-5, F-5, solvent spray, $1 per inch of solder, $1 per inch of braid, I'd be sending this commo from my beachside villa in Maui. Hmmm, maybe it's time I did!
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I didn't used to mark up parts, only to the next nearest dollar, but these days I figure time goes into procuring and maintaining what little inventory I keep, so why shouldn't a shop make a few bucks on a part? After all, I knew what to get, and where to get it fast. And since this was Mouser, it's not wholesale, but I do have a wholesale account with CE Dist, I have no qualms about marking those parts up. I'm not going to lose sleep over this, but I do value the opinions of this group. BTW, the only other real option down here is a music store, and I seriously doubt the repair guy there would even have been able to diagnose this problem, let alone get it fixed faster or for less than I did. He is $75 just to tell you he can't fix it, and you get that answer in maybe 2 -3 months.

And for the general record, I also charge a "chem charge" of $3 - 5 if I use a lot of solder or wick or DeOxit. In this case however, since it was merely an IC change, I did not add that. So far, no complaints.

Comment

As I've said in other threads, I see no reason not to mark up parts a reasonable amount. Sure the customer can (for instance) buy an op amp for $.50, but he'll pay 5 bucks shipping and he has no idea he needs one unless you tell him. How many automotive shops have the parts delivered to their shop by the local parts house and mark them up? It's part of doing business. Who doesn't mark up things they sell? IMO, you'd be silly not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                    ...time goes into procuring and maintaining what little inventory I keep, so why shouldn't a shop make a few bucks on a part?
                    Small inventory is definitely a pita. I mostly place orders when I have a custom project to build. I usually bump the order with stock inventory standard stuff I might be low on. But since I don't build many amps I don't always have a designated brand/model pre selected. That, combined with many products vanishing from manufacture in the long space between orders, not to mention that Mouser often has backorders when I need a parts fast. I often find myself researching just what I'm going to order before I can order it. Last time it was metal oxide resistors (and a few other things). Mouser was out of two of the three values I needed so I had to research an alternative. So when I place an order it's because I need the parts and backorders that can run for a month or more won't work. Not to mention that when I make a custom it often requires some stuff I don't regularly keep on hand. So by the time I work out what I need, how much regular inventory to add, what the alternatives are to the backorders and actually get it all worked out on the order form it's not uncommon for me to be three hours deep.

Hell yeah you bump parts. Even disproportionate to their expense. No customer is going to scoff at $2 for a resistor even when it's one that knows it only cost a dime.
                    If they do it's not hard to explain that the parts must be ordered, sometimes special for not inventoried items or values, then need to be stocked and then tracked or inventoried somewhat vigilantly in order for you to have it for THEM when THEY need it. JM2C on that.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I do NOT charge (on a separate column or as detailed items) for parts, Iīm not a parts dealer, not interested in that either and even if I wanted , canīt compete with real parts dealers of any kind, from Mouser to RS to local hardware store to GC or any MI store..
                      Different line of work, period.
                      Not even charge "by the hour" .

When a repair is asked, I estimate time and whatīs needed (parts /chemicals / tools / annoyance factor) for my own use, also estimate device repaired market value (add a certain % of that) and issue a "job price".

As in: "repairing a Twin Reverb with a dead clean channel / burnt OT / dead reverb / poor condition (works but most controls scratch, switches fail, loses sound which is momentarily restored with an Enzo whack, etc.) will be XXX $$$$ "
                      Customer answers: YES/NO . Period.

They might argue "itīs too much/can buy a used one for that/ my cousin Vinnie charges less" , whatever.
                      Fine,you just chose NO. Period.

I will NOT go so low as to argue on a part price and be called thief because I charged $5 for a part with a list price of 50 cents ... 500 miles away ..... not even remind him that having it on my bench costs 50 cents + $10 postage + 30 minutes of my time which is worth WAY more than that, so based on the part alone I am LOSING money .

So I never ever argue with customers with parts price, cost or markup, becaue I never ever bring it up-

Agree with:

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                      there will be a short stay in limbo for charging $10 for a TL072 when you should have charged $1 for it and added the $10 to the cost of the job. It's your skill they are paying for so charge for that. Don't mark up the parts.
                      Also keeping estimate calculations to myself gives me flexibility: if business is slow (happens too often) I can charge somewhat less if I find it will bring the job in which helps in a moment of need .... WAY better than buying stuff on credit at the Supermarket, paying high interest on that and hoping a later job will help pay the bill, and on the other side, if too busy or customer is a PITA I can charge more to brush him away.

Funny thing is that very often they accept the higher than normal price, go figure .

To each his own, I know in USA charging by the hour (or minute) and detailing even minute parts is almost customary, personally charging for the job has worked very well, for ages.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Op amp hell? Nah, this guy got your spot...
                        Vintage Original JRC4558D Op Amp Chip Ibanez TS 808 TS 9 Tube Screamer Effects 606559031153 | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          Funny thing is that very often they accept the higher than normal price, go figure .
                          It's a mark of prestige. "I didn't just get my Belchfire 500 fixed, I got it FAHEY fixed!"

I know in USA charging by the hour (or minute) and detailing even minute parts is almost customary
                          We are a nation of shopkeepers. Who said that?

And customers here are delighted to have a long list of inscrutable parts to be impressed with, or argue about. But in fact it's rare that I get any stick about parts prices.
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

OK then, I turned this around in 10 days for a price customer agreed to, so in the end OK. I'll sleep well tonight. I'm sure there will be many more repairs that I give more time than I can bill for.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                              Say what you want.
                              Think what you want.
                              Those ic's from the '80's where 'different'.

Comment

Working...
                              X