Marshall JVM 205H speaker jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JVM 205H speaker jack

I am replacing a speaker jack in a newer Marshall JVM 205H. I am finding it difficult to come up with a part number for this Cliff jack. It is a three leg vertical jack, but unfortunately I destroyed it getting it out, so I'm not even sure of the configuration. How on earth can I find the proper jack? would it pain them so much to print a part number on these darn things?

I think I have deduced it is a S1V jack, but which one? It seems they all have 5 legs, mine only has 3 legs?

Here is the schematic: http://bmamps.com/Schematics/marshal...65-02-iss3.pdf

Here is the Cliff site: http://www.cliffinc.com/products/jacksockets/s1v.htm
    Last edited by Randall; 09-02-2016, 08:06 PM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

The Cliff site state the CL11064S is special order only. I think you can use a CL11063 or CL11061 and just trim off the unwanted pins.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Anyone know why they used a stereo switching jack, when the tip switch is not connected, and ring switch goes to ground?

Comment

Interesting, as they are already using mono switching jacks elsewhere in the amp.
        Sometimes stereo jacks are used in mono applications to improve the physical stress they can take (more anchor points). Other times stereo jacks are used in power handling applications to double up the contact area on the ground side by grounding the ring. There are also jacks that have double tip contacts for better current handling. (Peavey?)
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Another wrinkle, I can't find any! All US distributors don't carry them, and the UK ones I looked at count them as discontinued. PLUS, the schematic I posted isn't the exact amp. The speaker output board I am looking at has the holes where pins 2 and 5 would go soldered shut on all 5 jacks. Marshall is no help with parts or info, at least on line. This has become a deep hole pretty fast for just a jack replacement!

Comment

Install a 1/4" open frame & run some wires.

Comment

Looking at the schematic, they ground the sleeve and ring contacts. That gives more contact surface. No big.

I am with nickb, just get plain old TRS jacks and snip off any legs there are no holes for on the board. Though the schematic shows all five pins.

The jacks that end in S are the ones with the threads only going half way out to the end of the bushing. Unless the jack is recessed and the hole is tiny, a regular jack is fine. or enlarge the hole.

yes, PV used two-tip contact jacks in many places. Those are definitely custom order from Switchcraft, but of course PV stocks them. NEVER confuse your drawers of regular and two tip.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So great, use 5 pin vertical jacks, but where to get them, and what part number? As I have noted, the ones I have are listed as discontinued. Odd, for a modern amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Randal
                  l;433315
                  So great, use 5 pin vertical jacks, but where to get them, and what part number? As I have noted, the ones I have are listed as discontinued. Odd, for a modern amp.

TME will ship to you for $9.90 CL11061 CLIFF - Socket | TME - Electronic components in 3 days or so.

Comment

You are drowning in a glass of water
                    Originally posted by Randall View Post
                    I think I have deduced it is a S1V jack, but which one? It seems they all have 5 legs, mine only has 3 legs?
                    ALL have 5 legs, I mean the plastic holes or slots arebthere, the spatial position is reserved for them and from what you describe I guess even the PCB hasb the holes and pads for them, simply metallic legs 2 and 5 are not inserted when jacks are assembled, and Mrshall saves a couple cents per jack.
                    It does not mean full 5 pin jacks wonīt work or even fit there.
                    If for any reason the PCB did not have the holes for legs 2 and 5 and you had a 5 pin one, you just cut them flush to allow inserting the jack in the PCB , but I understand even the empty holes are there.
                    Of course
                    The speaker output board I am looking at has the holes where pins 2 and 5 would go soldered shut on all 5 jacks.
                    , thatīs what wave soldering does (OCD pcb builders, me included, also do )
                    No big deal, thatīs what solder suckers were invented for.

Another wrinkle, I can't find any! All US distributors don't carry them, and the UK ones I looked at count them as discontinued.
                    AL types are discontinued or not available?
                    Canīt believe it, itīs a modern amp.
                    ANY 5 pin one will do, you donīt care about switches because they do nothing, and if you have the ring contact, good; if not the jack will still work, just not in the "improved" mode.

This vertical jack is not a Cliff invention, I remember a very similar Switchcraft one, check it, pinout might even match (wouldnīt be surprised at all)

In fact, even an Argentine manufacturer made his own version and I used them for ages, until he failed because of Chinese competition.

So besides loking for the original ones, try to get an equivalent one.

Worst case, ypu bend its legs forward (towards panel, away from PCB) and use short wires to the proper holes.

I bet there is not much space for open frame or "Marshall type" jacks ... although a "Fender" type might fit, wired with short wires of course.

EDIT: NickB nicked it

(sorry, couldnīt resist )
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      EDIT: NickB nicked it

(sorry, couldnīt resist )
                      Oh noooo!

Attached Files

Comment

For some odd reason, I cannot get past the site's registration page. It keeps telling me there are errors, but I don't see any.

Comment

Which site, Cliff? Does Cliff sell to individuals?

I see no reason to worry the brand, these ought to work:
                          http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0mEGpFL4sQI%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...xACCSwKWyGQ%3d

There are others in stock at Mouser.

From AES:
                          https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...avey-14-stereo
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you Enzo. You are a hero to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                              Thank you Enzo. You are a hero to me.
                              Cīmon, just buy your ticket and get in the line, this was but *one* of Enzo Fans Conventions, the UK chapter :

World totals are staggering
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X