HB bobbin mold pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB bobbin mold pics

Thought you guys might like to see these. The mold is in polishing and adjustments for slug fitting now. First samples are in, and they look great! (even without a polish on the mold)

Dude, that's cool! Can you make me some in cream?

So, are these standard dimension bobbins, or did you push/pull some measurements here and there for your own needs?

Comment

Beyond cool

Congratulations on investing a good amount of $$$$$$$$ into those dies .
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
        Cream or "Ivory"?
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
          Cream or "Ivory"?
          Do I hear "tan" or "beige"?
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Good Job Wolfe!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

So, are these standard dimension bobbins, or did you push/pull some measurements here and there for your own needs?
              Yes I can. And white, too. And pink, green, blue, or any other color in just about any material. Minimum orders would apply to custom colors, though.
              Butyrate, polycarbonate, ABS, Nylon, Glass Filled Nylon...

The Polycarbonate black is VERY BLACK.

These are not an exact PAF replica. They're not meant to be - they're meant to be VERY nice bobbins. They're a replica of the Allparts/StewMac bobbin with a few improvements. The bottom lead-out hole has been made round instead of square, so the lead wire does not catch on the "ledge" on the square when putting it through. Always an annoyance for me, so I drilled them out.
              The knit-lines between the poles are dramatically reduced. It is possible to eliminate them altogether.
              The plastic sinkage between poles is reduced. Possible to eliminate completely.
              There is ZERO flashing that needs to be sanded off in order to wind. The Allparts bobbins began to get larger and larger burrs on the ends of the flanges quite a few years ago.
              Hole diameter for the slug-side bobbin is being reduced to a PROPER .187 diameter. Allparts were oversized for metric. .187 slugs only worked because of the compression ledge at the bottom of the hole.

Polycarbonate and Butyrate will shrink down to virtually a perfect 49.2mm spacing.
              Solid core. None of that flimsy hollowed-out core crap.

They will ship on sheets of sticky-backed paper to protect the top surface. IE: NO SCRATCHES OR SCUFFS.

No unsightly large gaps between bobbins when mounted onto a standard base-plate. (I've always found PAF bobbins to be too narrow, creating a canyon between them - YUK!)

These are being made by the same people who do bobbins for Duncan.

Next up, base-plates!

Comment

Yes I can. And white, too. And pink, green, blue, or any other color in just about any material. Minimum orders would apply to custom colors, though.
                Butyrate, polycarbonate, ABS, Nylon, Glass Filled Nylon...

The Polycarbonate black is VERY BLACK.

These are not an exact PAF replica. They're not meant to be - they're meant to be VERY nice bobbins. They're a replica of the Allparts/StewMac bobbin with a few improvements. The bottom lead-out hole has been made round instead of square, so the lead wire does not catch on the "ledge" on the square when putting it through. Always an annoyance for me, so I drilled them out.
                The knit-lines between the poles are dramatically reduced. It is possible to eliminate them altogether.
                The plastic sinkage between poles is reduced. Possible to eliminate completely.
                There is ZERO flashing that needs to be sanded off in order to wind. The Allparts bobbins began to get larger and larger burrs on the ends of the flanges quite a few years ago.
                Hole diameter for the slug-side bobbin is being reduced to a PROPER .187 diameter. Allparts were oversized for metric. .187 slugs only worked because of the compression ledge at the bottom of the hole.

Polycarbonate and Butyrate will shrink down to virtually a perfect 49.2mm spacing.
                Solid core. None of that flimsy hollowed-out core crap.

They will ship on sheets of sticky-backed paper to protect the top surface. IE: NO SCRATCHES OR SCUFFS.

No unsightly large gaps between bobbins when mounted onto a standard base-plate. (I've always found PAF bobbins to be too narrow, creating a canyon between them - YUK!)

These are being made by the same people who do bobbins for Duncan.

Next up, base-plates!

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Beyond cool

Total cost of mold was nearly $15,000.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  Maybe only $$$$$ ?
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

What's the core dimensions on these, if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
                      What's the core dimensions on these, if you don't mind sharing?
                      I'm not at home right now to measure these, but it'll depend on the material, too.

Like I said it's not an exact PAF replica. And it's not meant to be.
                      These drawings were made from an Allparts bobbin years ago. The mold was made for ABS. Due to shrinkage, parts made in Butyrate and Polycarbonate will be very slightly smaller. By about .011 in overall length, shrinking down to a near perfect 49.2mm.

Comment

Hahaha. HAHAHAHAAH.

So... back when Allparts changed their bobbin without telling anyone, I had sent the order I received back to them for replacement with the old style bobbin. Y'Know, cause the new ones suck.
                        This was way back in March. Allparts was supposed to get the old style bobbins back in stock in about 8 weeks. They never did.
                        So in the meantime, we get this mold made. And now that it's finished, I was going to go ahead and cancel the replacements with Allparts, and get a refund. I had held onto the order just to be on the safe side, cause I was so low of black bobbins.

We left for a week to New Mexico. Now that the mold is finished and about ready to produce, I come home to finally find.... about 1000 replacement bobbin sets from Allparts.

Well. Poo.

Comment

Great job Wolfe!

Whenever I get my bobbins molded I'm always shocked by the quantity of plastic that gets wasted in the T portion of the mold where the plastic is injected. No way around it though.
                          They don't make them like they used to... We do.™
                          www.throbak.com
                          Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                            Great job Wolfe!

Whenever I get my bobbins molded I'm always shocked by the quantity of plastic that gets wasted in the T portion of the mold where the plastic is injected. No way around it though.
                            I would think they'd recycle it. Grind up, use again. Maybe?

Comment

Probably .... at least itīs already the right colour and composition

In any case, these are very efficient; I hate seeing small parts injected where the useless "tree and branches" are way larger than the useful "leaves"
                              But parts are what they are.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X