ac ripple on screen grids Ultralinear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trobbins View Post
    I think that means you have about 450V B+ and 40mA for about 18W plate dissipation per KT66. Using PSUD2 indicates the B+ ripple voltage should be about 12Vpp, or circa 4Vrms, with a 60uF cap and that power transformer secondary and a 5U4G.

Sounds like you have a bad part, or wiring, or your measurement technique is not right.

If your caps can withstand 550VDC, or you have a variac, then you can firstly check the unloaded B+ for DCV and AC ripple, and a steady reading.
    I wish it were the wiring but i have built and rebuilt this amp about 4 times and no matter how i wire it it always presents the same problem. My measuring may be the culprit. I'm going to have to ac ground the screens again so i can bias it right then pull the measurements again. I don't think it's a bad part but i could be wrong

Comment

I think that means you have about 450V B+ and 40mA for about 18W plate dissipation per KT66. Using PSUD2 indicates the B+ ripple voltage should be about 12Vpp, or circa 4Vrms, with a 60uF cap and that power transformer secondary and a 5U4G.

Sounds like you have a bad part, or wiring, or your measurement technique is not right.

If your caps can withstand 550VDC, or you have a variac, then you can firstly check the unloaded B+ for DCV and AC ripple, and a steady reading.
      How did you put this into psud. I always get an error when I've tried modeling the power supply

Comment

No, the PT can't cause ripple by being too powerful, but the filter circuit can be too "small" for a given load current. I hope that makes sense.
        cheers
        Rob
        robsradioactive.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob's Radio-Active View Post
          No, the PT can't cause ripple by being too powerful, but the filter circuit can be too "small" for a given load current. I hope that makes sense.
          cheers
          Rob
          I'm going to bite the bullet and get the choke ala sunn amps as mentioned
          Last edited by Rattler66; 09-11-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

It must be doable without it
            I have an UL Twin reverb on the bench, it's totally quiet when you set the bias balance and hum balance pots

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
              It must be doable without it
              I have an UL Twin reverb on the bench, it's totally quiet when you set the bias balance and hum balance pots
              You know might as well go that route first. It's much cheaper and easier to swallow if indeed it doesn't work

Comment

Try the bias balance pot by ear. Due to circuit anomalies minimum hum may be a setting which does not perfectly match when measuring idle current.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Are you sure that the taps are definitely intended for UL?
                  eg given the jtm45 / RS Deluxe thing, they may be 8k taps.
                  My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                    Are you sure that the taps are definitely intended for UL?
                    eg given the jtm45 / RS Deluxe thing, they may be 8k taps.
                    yes according to the wiring diagram that came with the ot from Heyboer it is

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Route66.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	843550

Here's the schem, don't mind the voltages mine are quite higher due to PT. Can anyone show me how to go about adding a dual bias or bias balance. I would like to keep the bias adjust also. Thanks guys

Comment

Perhaps it is easier to add a 1 ohm current sense resistor in the cathode circuit of each KT66. Your meter should read about 40mV across each resistor (ie. 40mA bias current in that KT66). If you don't have a good meter that will read with 1mV resolution, then use a 10 ohm sense resistor. That reading should be stable - if it isn't then you have other problems to track down first and foremost.

You could clone the existing bias supply circuit so that you have two seperate bias voltage circuits. Split "D" so that each bias circuit feeds just one of the KT66's grid leaks. That is the least risky path to take. Trying to use some of the existing bias supply components to generate two variable bias voltages will change the voltage levels and time constants and bias ripple, and need some assessment and juggling.

Comment

Perhaps it is easier to add a 1 ohm current sense resistor in the cathode circuit of each KT66. Your meter should read about 40mV across each resistor (ie. 40mA bias current in that KT66). If you don't have a good meter that will read with 1mV resolution, then use a 10 ohm sense resistor. That reading should be stable - if it isn't then you have other problems to track down first and foremost.

You could clone the existing bias supply circuit so that you have two seperate bias voltage circuits. Split "D" so that each bias circuit feeds just one of the KT66's grid leaks. That is the least risky path to take. Trying to use some of the existing bias supply components to generate two variable bias voltages will change the voltage levels and time constants and bias ripple, and need some assessment and juggling.
                          cool thanks, I just finished a mockup right before I saw your postClick image for larger version

Name:	Route66.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	843551

also the reading at the cathode (I did install the 1ohm) is steady but the plate voltage isn't, not when the humming starts

Comment

PSUD2 example
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PSUD2sample1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	843552

Comment

Thanks i never knew how to set psud up. Cool

Comment

Grounding

The schematic shows the HV CT (the noisiest ground)(1) connecting to the preamp ground (1). Never a good idea. The HV CT should go to (2) where the reservoir cap grounds. If possible the HV CT should go directly to the cap and a separate wire from the cap to the chassis. The (C) node filter cap should ground to the preamp ground (1). The bias supply filter (3) and the power tube cathodes (5) should go to (2) or close by. The ground connection for the heater CT might cause noise in the preamp if grounded there. This depends on parasitic coupling within the transformer. Try it at (1) and (2) and use the one that is lowest in noise. Ground for the output transformer should go the the speaker jacks with a separate wire to the chassis.
                                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                                X