Rumble 100 SMPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise !!!
    I am actually studying SMPS, will start using them.
    I´m losing lots of sales to "brick" sized Ampeg PF350/500 , Markbass and TC Electronics miniature 300/500/700W SMPS fed Class D heads so I´ll have to design my own.

I´m halfway through a *very* practical, hands-on repair manual, which now will try to post here.
    Zero math, some shotgunning involved, minimal instruments, but, hey!!! , probably what "Joe PC supply repair Shop" uses on an everyday basis.

Only major point I diasagree with it is that they are somewhat kamikaze: ground scope to hot mains ground, consider an isolation transformer optional, trust home GFCI to cut power quickly before they die, claim grabbing a 310V charged main cap with both hands "may make you drop the TV or monitor you are repiring , picture tube will explode and sharp glass can cut you" but "shock is too short to kill you"

In that aspect it´s a suicide manual, BUT you know better, WILL use an isolating transformer and be careful with dangerous HV.

Download and read it, in your case they suggest first to measure a lot of parts, they give you a check list, replace if suspect, **separate secondary side from mains/primary side** and in your particular case: there is a starter medium power resistor (think around 2 W) which feeds the PWM controller IC straight from +300V for a few seconds until an auxiliary winding feeds it in a more efficient way.

Since it has to supply said 6 mA , or whatever starting current is needed, typical value will be around 300/0.006=50K , in fact I often see (in the book, didn´t tackle any real SMPS yet) values such as 2 x 150k resistors in parallel which means we are in the ballpark.

Obviously the 1k to 10k values you have tried so far will both burn any IC and explode themselves .... not by chance what happened so far.

Look for IC datasheet examples.

OK, I´m trying to attach the SMPS book now:

FAIL

Book size is a 15MB PDF, way too large to upload here.
    Zipped it: same thing.
    Split ZIP in 5 segments, named xxx.zip , xx.z01, .... xxx.z04 and Forum software does not recognize z** as valid extensions ... oh well.

If somebody can suggest some Cloud type place accessible by anybody, I´ll upload it there.

Please not Google Cloud or any one which requires you to open an account, register, give them your blood type or free access to your home banking or similar unwarranted privacy invasions.
    Attached Files
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Juan! You rock! Thanks! I've been wanting to design some as well...but am unqualified as of yet. Can you suggest any books or resources for learning to design SMPS?

Can't wait to read this manual.

Comment

Ah...it says bad zip file. Hmmmm.... not sure where to upload it other than dropbox

Try this https://www.fileconvoy.com/

Comment

Seems to work.
          It will be there for 28 days only and self erase, so I suggest all those interested, even if thinking of future use, to download it now:
          ---------------------------------------------------
          Your file(s) have been successfully uploaded.

The file(s) you have just uploaded can be retrieved using the link or URL provided below. Save this link NOW as you will not be able to get it back once you leave this page. You must send this link to every recipient of your file(s). They will be able to retrieve the file(s) by pasting this link (bold part only) into the address bar of any browser [Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, etc.].

The link or URL you must send to the recipient(s) of your file(s) is:

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...32d4a113dbd59f

The file(s) that can be retrieved with the above link is (are):

Practical SMPS Repair.zip (14.935 MB)

The file(s) will be available on the server for the next 28 days.
          ------------------------------------------------

EDIT: if you are using an ad blocker , momentarily disable it when inside fileconvoy, it´s the way they generate some revenue.
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 10-01-2016, 11:42 AM.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Got it. Wink wink

Comment

Now it´s reading time

I suggest you go end to end once, so as to have a general idea, and then read it back , chapter by chapter, at a slower pace.
              A lot of the "advanced measurement techniques" they describe are old news for us, of course
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but I bring gifts ! (always a redeeming quality !!!)

Yesterday I opened a Fender Mustang... hadn't seen one before ... LCD display top panel and usual software interface ,
                it's very dusty and I presume is why it resets itself on occasion especially when you don't want it!

One thing led to another and here :- (Two examples of NCP1271 in Fender circuits.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Mustang III amp_schem a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	843749Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Mustang III amp_schem b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	843750Fender Mustang I (12).pdf

I've edited these a little.. not your usual Fender schem's 'n fonts !

more here (pause b/t d/loads)

Code:
                http://fender-mustang-amps-and-fuse.wikia.com/wiki/Fender_Mustang_Schematics
                Last edited by oc disorder; 10-06-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Here is the schematic for the Rumble 100 SMPS

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...1&d=1475881557
                  Attached Files

Comment

Woo Hoo!

Thankyou dmeek.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Comment

oc disorder and dmeek! THANKS! Fixed it. Boy a schematic sure helps with SMPS.

After removing and testing a bunch of secondary side components, I got frustrated cause everything seemed fine. I then studied the 1271 datasheet more, as I should have, cause it clued me in on a couple things. One, that the feedback pin was high - 3.7v. So the amp was in shutdown. After messing around secondary side, for some reason, maybe I forget what exactly I did, the feedback pin went low - .4v. So I then began to retrace my initial repairs on this, which was mainly based around the MOSFET. Testing all components in-line with the MOSFET I found R351 CS resistor from the MOSFET source to the PWM CS pin, was reading ~18k. Replaced it with closest value I had - 4.7k.

Still low secondary voltages, but now I got some pulsing happening. It's a start. So continuing my testing I found that the current sense resistor R352 was reading 20k, not the required .22ohms! Replaced it, now I got the thing working, only to find a secondary cap sizzling and smoking. I figured I had removed that cap so maybe I damaged it. Replaced it, powered up - - - - FIXED.

Thing is working and have had music playing through it for a half hour.

Comment

Juan
                          but built by Terminator
                          Terminator 0 Human 1

Comment

I have another one here. It's the Rumble 200. I can't even find the dang PA! Anyone? The first pic is the underside of the SMPS.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by lowell; 05-29-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

just found this on another forum! Although it's the 100. Very different from this 200, which I cannot for the life of me figure out where the PA is.
                              Attached Files

Comment

It is an ICE module, I see the logo right on it. It is an SMPS and power amp in one.

See the black and white wires coming in top center from the mains? They enter by the gray thing. Now see the black and white wires by the upper left, are they not the speaker wires? The right side of the board is the primary side of the SMPS, the lower left is the secondary side, and the upper left is the powr amp.

Following the speaker wires is usually a good clue as to where the power amp is.

If I have followed other threads around here, there won;t be any service documentation on the ICE stuff.
                                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                                X