Low Volume-weird EF86 plate voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Volume-weird EF86 plate voltage

thanks to everyone who helped me with my hum problem. here's another wierd one. i plugged the guitar into the input and the volume is so low. but if you tap on certain points with the meter probe it's real loud which is telling me the preamp is working but whatever comes from pin 9 is low volume. All my voltages are ok but pin 6 of the ef86 is showing 6.27v. the b+ is good, all the resistors are good. i swapped out ef86 tubes and the same. the only thing i didn't do is replace the socket in case pin 6 insn't making contact . any oyther ideas thanks
    Attached Files

Check your resistor values - maybe somehting is off by a large margin. Maybe it's 2.2M. Don't trust the color codes - use your meter to measure each parting the circuit. That's all I got...

Justin
    Last edited by Justin Thomas; 09-24-2016, 01:26 AM.
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      Check your resistor values - maybe somehting is off by a large margin. Maybe it's 2.2M. Don't trust the color codes - use your meter to measure each parting the circuit. That's all I got...

Justin
      I did check them but i will again because anything's possible. Thanks

Comment

D'oh, missed that part... and after some remembering, my very first amp build, with an EF86 channel, I <DID> get a crap socket in there... I hate to see it be that...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Actually Justin you nailed it on the head after taking some readings i found a 1k in place of a 1m. The volume is normal thanks

Comment

Working...
          X