Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to start working on a Peavey Classic???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start working on a Peavey Classic???

I never had even heard of these before but I told a buddy I would take a look at it. I was expecting him to bring over like a Classic 30 or something but looks like an old Peavey called a "Classic". Anyway the amps actually sounds really good but the output is a little low. Anybody know where I can round up a schematic of this amp? It runs off of a power tube only.

It is a hybrid. Power amp is tubes, the preamp is solid state.

Email parts@peavey and ask for schematics from "Classic." Look on the front panel. check to see if under the name it says "VT" or "VTX" series. Those have different circuits from the plain CLassic.

A new set of power tubes would be a good place to start.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      It is a hybrid. Power amp is tubes, the preamp is solid state.

Email parts@peavey and ask for schematics from "Classic." Look on the front panel. check to see if under the name it says "VT" or "VTX" series. Those have different circuits from the plain CLassic.

A new set of power tubes would be a good place to start.
      I already tried the tubes so I'm assuming a power supply cap is bad. (i hope) lol The damn thing sounds good though!

Comment

I do the same thing to these every time. I replace the huge old paper caps with smaller E-caps and do a complete e-cap job,replace the pots and tubes and it's good. If it works I doubt any of the transistors are bad but usually the brite channel doesn't work. All of the pots will cost you about $30 bucks and you can get them at Peavey. Those caps are about 40 years old so take your chances on that but I normally don't. They do sound good and have a really Lynard Skynard sound especially with a box in front but once put back in shape will most likely outlast you !
        KB

Comment

Yeah man they really do sound good. The bright channel works as well as the reverb and tremelo. It really took me by surprise at how good it sounded. Thanks for the info.

Comment

It just took me a little over a week to get a schematic for a different model from Peavey. That time would have been cut in half if I had supplied them with the serial number right off the bat.

Comment

Peavey posts schematics for a bunch of their stuff on line - try searching the site's Manuals section.

Comment

Working...
              X