Thread: Voodoo labs pedal power 2?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Voodoo labs pedal power 2?

hey guys i have a voodoo labs power pedal power supply and it stopped working. i had a look inside and everything seems to be ok, no visible signs of burnt compontents,and no burnt smell. i was wondering if this had a fuse but there seems to be no fuse. Anyone have any problems with thier power supply that may be similar?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 245/20
    Given: 25/5
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
    hey guys i have a voodoo labs power pedal power supply and it stopped working. i had a look inside and everything seems to be ok, no visible signs of burnt compontents,and no burnt smell. i was wondering if this had a fuse but there seems to be no fuse. Anyone have any problems with thier power supply that may be similar?
    How about a gutshot? I worked on a Fender Mustang and I looked all over the board for a Fuse I knew must be there. It was a little round red cylinder device Replaced it and back in action. So a pic would help a bit.

Thanks,
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    ya, i don't see anything like that on the board. could the indicator light act as a fuse?http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...4&d=1475531736
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal power 2.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	40894  

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Can you measure ohms across the supply input (active to neutral) with any mains switch set to on. You should measure the resistance of the primary winding of the transformer.
    The transformer could have a thermal fuse build inside the primary winding. If its gone, you may be able to open the transformer & replace the thermal fuse, but this is only a temporary measure. If the transformer has failed in this way, it should be replaced.
    A quick ohms check will tell you all you need to know

Thumbs Up/Down
    ya, got no reading across the supply input.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
    ya, got no reading across the supply input.
    Take a pic of the IEC power port sometimes there's a fuse holder in them. A pic like your looking at the jack.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Take a pic of the IEC power port sometimes there's a fuse holder in them. A pic like your looking at the jack.

nosaj
    Definately talk to tech support if all else fails. I was given a pedal by them that was hacked up pretty bad ( I didn't want to touch it without a schematic and they do not supply them)
    I contacted them and they repaired it for a total of 6.50(shipping and sent me a free shirt)
    nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 20/0
    Bumping an old thread here to add some info I think may help some.

I got one of these on my bench right now: the fuse is inside the transformer packaging. Take scissors and cut the top black label on the transformer in the direction parallel to the coils right in the center (split the code 408-0123 in the middle, cutting right through where the minus sign is). In the center there is a ridge where the coils meet, that's where the fuse is tucked in, under several layers of tape. There are wires going along the lower layers of tape, so be careful not to cut them.

This is an interesting PS design. The transformer is "hum bucking", it has two opposing coils each generating a magnetic field in the opposite direction. The fields cancel out. Very interesting design.

There is the "center tap" where the two coils are connected. In that center tap there is the fuse sitting between the two coils. Therefore the fuse sees half of mains voltage.

What I did is jumper that center tap and I put a fuse on the mains entrance to the transformer, visible to everyone. Then I taped the transformer label back together.

Hope this helps!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaf View Post
    Bumping an old thread here to add some info I think may help some.

I got one of these on my bench right now: the fuse is inside the transformer packaging. Take scissors and cut the top black label on the transformer in the direction parallel to the coils right in the center (split the code 408-0123 in the middle, cutting right through where the minus sign is). In the center there is a ridge where the coils meet, that's where the fuse is tucked in, under several layers of tape. There are wires going along the lower layers of tape, so be careful not to cut them.

This is an interesting PS design. The transformer is "hum bucking", it has two opposing coils each generating a magnetic field in the opposite direction. The fields cancel out. Very interesting design.

There is the "center tap" where the two coils are connected. In that center tap there is the fuse sitting between the two coils. Therefore the fuse sees half of mains voltage.

What I did is jumper that center tap and I put a fuse on the mains entrance to the transformer, visible to everyone. Then I taped the transformer label back together.

Hope this helps!
    no pics?

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here ya go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180615_164952668.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	49379

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4fba4ce0-b0b1-48c4-9b65-d40a3bfc16cd.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	49378

Thumbs Up/Down
    If you're wondering about the damage to the left bobbin and why it was hastily cut, it was because we attempted a quick fix at a friend's guitar shop before I brought it home. With 6 hands wanting to have a look at the thing, a friend of mine accidentally pulled a wire and snipped it at the base of the bobbin. So after a couple of beers I brought mission-impossible home to attempt a fix. I managed to solder less than 1mm of wire near the base of the bobbin and covered it with epoxy to hold the new wire in place.

Thread Information