Voodoo labs pedal power 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo labs pedal power 2?

hey guys i have a voodoo labs power pedal power supply and it stopped working. i had a look inside and everything seems to be ok, no visible signs of burnt compontents,and no burnt smell. i was wondering if this had a fuse but there seems to be no fuse. Anyone have any problems with thier power supply that may be similar?

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
    hey guys i have a voodoo labs power pedal power supply and it stopped working. i had a look inside and everything seems to be ok, no visible signs of burnt compontents,and no burnt smell. i was wondering if this had a fuse but there seems to be no fuse. Anyone have any problems with thier power supply that may be similar?
    How about a gutshot? I worked on a Fender Mustang and I looked all over the board for a Fuse I knew must be there. It was a little round red cylinder device Replaced it and back in action. So a pic would help a bit.

Thanks,
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

ya, i don't see anything like that on the board. could the indicator light act as a fuse?http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...4&d=1475531736
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you measure ohms across the supply input (active to neutral) with any mains switch set to on. You should measure the resistance of the primary winding of the transformer.
        The transformer could have a thermal fuse build inside the primary winding. If its gone, you may be able to open the transformer & replace the thermal fuse, but this is only a temporary measure. If the transformer has failed in this way, it should be replaced.
        A quick ohms check will tell you all you need to know

Comment

ya, got no reading across the supply input.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
            ya, got no reading across the supply input.
            Take a pic of the IEC power port sometimes there's a fuse holder in them. A pic like your looking at the jack.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
              Take a pic of the IEC power port sometimes there's a fuse holder in them. A pic like your looking at the jack.

nosaj
              Definately talk to tech support if all else fails. I was given a pedal by them that was hacked up pretty bad ( I didn't want to touch it without a schematic and they do not supply them)
              I contacted them and they repaired it for a total of 6.50(shipping and sent me a free shirt)
              nosaj

Comment

Bumping an old thread here to add some info I think may help some.

I got one of these on my bench right now: the fuse is inside the transformer packaging. Take scissors and cut the top black label on the transformer in the direction parallel to the coils right in the center (split the code 408-0123 in the middle, cutting right through where the minus sign is). In the center there is a ridge where the coils meet, that's where the fuse is tucked in, under several layers of tape. There are wires going along the lower layers of tape, so be careful not to cut them.

This is an interesting PS design. The transformer is "hum bucking", it has two opposing coils each generating a magnetic field in the opposite direction. The fields cancel out. Very interesting design.

There is the "center tap" where the two coils are connected. In that center tap there is the fuse sitting between the two coils. Therefore the fuse sees half of mains voltage.

What I did is jumper that center tap and I put a fuse on the mains entrance to the transformer, visible to everyone. Then I taped the transformer label back together.

Hope this helps!
                Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                  Bumping an old thread here to add some info I think may help some.

I got one of these on my bench right now: the fuse is inside the transformer packaging. Take scissors and cut the top black label on the transformer in the direction parallel to the coils right in the center (split the code 408-0123 in the middle, cutting right through where the minus sign is). In the center there is a ridge where the coils meet, that's where the fuse is tucked in, under several layers of tape. There are wires going along the lower layers of tape, so be careful not to cut them.

This is an interesting PS design. The transformer is "hum bucking", it has two opposing coils each generating a magnetic field in the opposite direction. The fields cancel out. Very interesting design.

There is the "center tap" where the two coils are connected. In that center tap there is the fuse sitting between the two coils. Therefore the fuse sees half of mains voltage.

What I did is jumper that center tap and I put a fuse on the mains entrance to the transformer, visible to everyone. Then I taped the transformer label back together.

Hope this helps!
                  no pics?

nosaj

Comment

Here ya go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180615_164952668.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	849904

Click image for larger version

Name:	4fba4ce0-b0b1-48c4-9b65-d40a3bfc16cd.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	849903
                    Valvulados

Comment

If you're wondering about the damage to the left bobbin and why it was hastily cut, it was because we attempted a quick fix at a friend's guitar shop before I brought it home. With 6 hands wanting to have a look at the thing, a friend of mine accidentally pulled a wire and snipped it at the base of the bobbin. So after a couple of beers I brought mission-impossible home to attempt a fix. I managed to solder less than 1mm of wire near the base of the bobbin and covered it with epoxy to hold the new wire in place.
                      Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                        If you're wondering about the damage to the left bobbin and why it was hastily cut, it was because we attempted a quick fix at a friend's guitar shop before I brought it home. With 6 hands wanting to have a look at the thing, a friend of mine accidentally pulled a wire and snipped it at the base of the bobbin. So after a couple of beers I brought mission-impossible home to attempt a fix. I managed to solder less than 1mm of wire near the base of the bobbin and covered it with epoxy to hold the new wire in place.
                        Hi, do you have any suggestion to test the transformer? My PP2+ stoped to work at the begining of a session. It smelled burned and the enclosure was hot, I opened but found nothing visually. There is some point to try etc?
                        Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by visualdistortion View Post
                          Hi, do you have any suggestion to test the transformer? My PP2+ stoped to work at the begining of a session. It smelled burned and the enclosure was hot, I opened but found nothing visually. There is some point to try etc?
                          Thanks a lot
                          Read post 4

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by visualdistortion View Post
                            Thanks a lot
                            Open it and test any of the xformer output pairs for ACV. You'll probably read zero which means the little fuse inside the transformer wrapping has blown. If you read any ACV above zero and below 18VAC (IIRC) then you're out of luck, it's probably a shorted turn somewhere in the windings. If the fuse has blown, then you can attempt the repair we discussed earlier. Still gotta find why the fuse blew because those regulators are well protected against shorts.
                            Valvulados

Comment

Does the little fuse is like a standard fuse? like you can test the continuity between his legs? Because I opened the transformer and nothing pass between his legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X