No announcement yet.

effects loop idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juan, thank you for responding and burning this down for us. And Enzo, thank you for taking the lead on this. And let me say right now that this post will run long and there's no need for either of you to read and suffer it if you don't want to. It's written mostly as a project prospectus for daz.

Yep. I was looking at some designs last night and reasoned that the output at the cathode follower (which is the end of the preamp "signal processing" for this amps design) is probably on the order of 60+V. The Soldano design and others attenuate this to some 1/45, or about 1.3V or 1.4V. IME most (not all) signal processors handle this without flinching.

And then there's the issue of impedance.?. The output of the effects loop should be low to avoid signal degradation in the cables. I've tried to ignore this and noted that even 5' of cable through the loop can cause audible signal degradation in the HF with a high impedance output. So we do need a low impedance output to the effects. If the effects loop is to sound transparent (in an amp not designed with one originally) the recovery stage should have a similar output impedance to the place where we cut into the signal path. Short of that the stage following the recovery will see a different impedance relationship and, because that affects dynamics @ frequency, the sound/response/feel of the amp will change. That's been my own limited experience on the matter. Soldano, in the previously mentioned design, even went to the trouble of running the recovery through an additional triode arranged as a cathode follower to achieve this. So... We can get 1.3V from the amp at a low impedance pretty easily. But now we need to recover that and amplify the voltage some 33dB back to 60-ish at a similar output impedance to the cathode follower where we started!!! That's a job for a tube if I ever saw one. I'm no expert, but a corresponding SS design might be unnecessarily difficult by comparison.

I'm actually learning something on this one. I erroneously thought that all the SS effects loops in so many otherwise tube amps were simply using the SS devices as direct substitutes for what a tube would do. Because they're smaller, cheaper and make less heat. So why not use them in any application that isn't tube tone dependent. Made sense to me. But I didn't realize mow much, or the specific design criteria that has to be considered. Now I'm finding myself sort of painted into a corner design wise.

So... At this point I think the best answer is to either add a tube OR tap the effects loop in a location where duplicating the original source voltage will be easier. Padding from cathode follower at some 60+V and recovering to 60+V @ observed relative impedance to feed the tone stack now seem too cumbersome. That is probably why other (seemingly more sane) designs tap at the treble pot output, where the signal will be padded by the existing circuit some 8dB down to a much more manageable 25V and the recovery stage output impedance is less critical. This is just a much more easily achieved goal. In the end this is pretty much just what the Metropoulos module does. So I say now that it is a smarter design than the idea I proposed earlier. It can be bought for $85 bucks or a similar, but as yet undersigned circuit can be built for $10 plus the cost of time ordering parts and a lot of head scratching. I'd buy the Metroamps unit.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well, this kinda sucks, but the soldono looks quite simple. I think i may be able to fit another tube in it, tho it'll be tight. If i take the signal from the CF using a 100 and 2.2k then add the tube recovery all as shown in the SLO shematic, it should work because that schematic from the CF on looks the same as mine. But where should i tap the B+ from? Can i just take it from the PI node rather then making another node? Because i don't have room for another cap and i'd have to mount it in some funky fashion.

Comment

I would probably branch the power supply from the PI node. From there, add another resistor and filter cap. Use that as the voltage source for the effects loop. OR...

You could just buy the Metroamps module

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Yeah, i could, and i want to. But $85 vs $0 is a major consideration on my unemployed budget. Drilling the hole is the biggest biotch but i think i'm gonna do this. I could just tack it in first to see how it works. Just gotta suspend the socket/tube safely.

Comment

By the way, whats your take on the note on the schematic? It seems to be saying if you wanna reduce the level coming from the cathode to use 1k in parallel, but then it mentions the cathode cap of the return saying to put a 25uf there. I can't fuigure if he means to do that IF you do the 1 k cathode resistor or what. If he's just saying use a 25uf there w/o respsct to the signal lowering 1k he just mentioned, why would he not have just labeled the cap 25uf in the first place. Unless that scribble IS suppose to say 25uf?

Comment

I only looked at the circuit in the little box on an image search. I didn't see any schematic notes. But I can certainly speculate

I've read a couple of posts (elsewhere, not here) about the high drive level of the Soldano loop. I think what the schematic notes are saying is that to decrease the drive level you can reduce the resistor at the bottom of the send cathode follower from 2.2k to 1k. The recover triode would then have more amplifying to do because a smaller signal into the loop equals a smaller signal out of the loop. An increase in the return circuit gain is required. The stock circuit uses an unbypassed cathode resistor on the recovery stage. Bypassing that resistor increases the gain of the recovery stage. Ta da.

I wouldn't go as small as 1k for your circuit. 1.5k should be fine. In fact, I think YOUR dsp would be fine with the 2.2k value. My concern here is noise. Padding the signal down really small and then re amplifying it creates some function noise like thermal hiss and incidental hum/buzz such as any high gain amp stage. The less we attenuate the signal, the less additional noise. 2.2k is apparently too big, but 1.5k is probably alright and it's 33% less attenuation than 1k. So 33% less noise. See where I'm going. You shouldn't need a bypass cap on the return triode. Just use a 100k plate and a 1k cathode resistor. That should get you close to center bias and have enough gain. If it doesn't THEN you can add the bypass cap. Remember that it's not a cut n paste thing. Any time you kludge a circuit into another where it's never been before some tuning needs to happen before it's over.

Comment

Will do, thanks Chuck. Just got in and a bit drained from the heat (mid 90's here) but if i can muster the strength i hope to get to it soon. Just kinda dreading the drilling of the socket hole. It's a old JCM 30 watt SS combo cab/chassis i gutted years ago and they used some damn thick strong steel. Not fun.

Comment

Wait, it just hit me....no level controls?! I completely missed that. WTF. Why? No wonder he mentions adding resistors and caps to alter levels. How do you control what you want to put in the loop? I mean, the SLO is what....about 3 or 4 grand? But he saves 5 or 10 bucks on a pot or 2? What am i missing? I guess i'll just install it and see how it works with my DSP, but if i ever wanna put a pedal in there i assume i might need more gain?

Comment

Well, the deed is done. It is quiet and theres lots of volume after setting the DSP levels to optimal, so thats good. Tone however suffers. The harmonic complexity that was there is not as prominent and the tone is just rather dull compared to before plus the attack is harder, less give, less dynamic i think. I used the 100k/2.2k cathode values same as the SLO but used 100k plate load as you suggested and tried a 2.2k and 1k cathode. If I can't get my tone back this is a short lived mod. But i don't think it's gonna happen because levels are obviously good so i think it's likely just having 2 more stages is not a good thing tonally.

Comment

Boy, you got right to it didn't you!?!

There's going to be a little fidelity lost in the padding. Try adding a .1 bypass cap to the cathode of the recovery triode. If that has too much mids go smaller, if it doesn't have enough go larger.

I can't think of anything about the circuit that should make your attack "harder". How did you derive your HV?
                      Last edited by Chuck H; 10-21-2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                        Wait, it just hit me....no level controls?! I completely missed that. WTF. Why? No wonder he mentions adding resistors and caps to alter levels. How do you control what you want to put in the loop? I mean, the SLO is what....about 3 or 4 grand? But he saves 5 or 10 bucks on a pot or 2? What am i missing? I guess i'll just install it and see how it works with my DSP, but if i ever wanna put a pedal in there i assume i might need more gain?
                        On the matter of level controls... You don't want 'em. They just make it more possible to end up with user error. A lot of amps in the late 80's had effects loop level controls and a lot of users wondered what was wrong with their amps when they had those controls misadjusted. Back then there were more effects with different level requirements. Often odd ones because there was very little standardization for guitar amp effects loops. Then, loops with level controls were the best you could do. Today nearly all effects not designed specifically for the amps front end are standardized to work at 0dB. Your loop is set up to put out a bit over line level with the gain at full tilt and amplify recovery analogous to it's send level. If the DSP is set for unity everything should be hunky dory. Nearly every modern amp company sets up their loops like this.

Comment

I tried a 22uf and no cap at a in the first recovery stage cathode and there was no difference to speak of. So i dontt imagine a .1 or anything elase will matter. HV, I first tried just taking right from a preamp node, then i tried creating its own node parallel to the PI node with a 8.2k and 47uf. Again, not change to speak of. To be honest i;d rip it out right now and spring for the metro but now i fear spending probably $100 with shipping and end up with the same result. I guess i'll screw around with some values then just tear it out if i can't get it back because if the tone is going to be like this i;d prefer the modeler. I may tear it out tonight because if like you said theres going to be loss then why waste time playing with values. The whole purpose of using this amp instead of the modeler was tone but at this point the modeler sounds and feels better and has a gazilion options. or maybe i'll just shtcan the loop altogether and use a second effects return amp. I just gotta think about it a bit.

Comment

Try a .1uf cathode bypass cap on the recovery stage triode.

Comment

Tried it, nope. It's the whole circuit that i'm sure is just too much stuff to not change the tone. gotta be. I'm just gonna rip it out tonite because it's just not even close to as good as it sounded before. I think the only safe way is a 2nd effects return amp.

Comment

Do you have a grid stopper on the input to the PI? My experiments indicate there is a subtle effect on attack at the PI input that is controlled by grid current and coupling caps there.
                                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                                X