By popular demand, and because....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickb View Post
    Gulp! Art and science finally agree! I never thought I'd see the day. Daz, you are one special dude.
    Thanks, but I'm just a player who knows just enough to build em w/o killing myself. Actually, that may be my strong point when it comes to electronics.....i haven't thrown a pliers thru a wall lately. (one damn near went thru a wall years ago when i touched B+ with it) The special guys are the ones here who are frigging genius at this stuff.

Comment

My only gripe with the schematic is the tube symbols. I never like sad face triodes and the pentodes have no cathode. I always end up making custom symbols for most parts. Thanks Daz, good job!
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        I never like sad face triodes....
        So...., what are you saying, LT?
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
          So...., what are you saying, LT?
          I had to look at it to see what he means and i guess it's the upside down smile thats the cathode? I just copy/pasted those from some other schematic, can't recall which. Man, you guys seem to look at schematics as art. I bet some of you have em framed on the wall over your fireplace huh?

Comment

<-------- something like that.

Originally posted by daz View Post
            I had to look at it to see what he means and i guess it's the upside down smile thats the cathode? I just copy/pasted those from some other schematic, can't recall which. Man, you guys seem to look at schematics as art. I bet some of you have em framed on the wall over your fireplace huh?
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I like cathodes drawn as a straight line with a 90 degree bend at the end. Makes it look like the cathode is doing hard work emitting electrons. Not like it's being compelled to emit electrons because it's being intimidated by the heater. Just kidding, it's the way I was taught in school in 1967.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Why are there no smiley face cathodes? I like my tubes happy.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Then just bias em cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    Because tubes only sound good when they're "screaming for holy mercy," according to Soundgu-

(Ducks, runs for cover)

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Don't work them too hard or they get tired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Super-Triode Hybrid Amplifier 3.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	843755
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        It's true. Cathodes no longer get a "miracle boost" from thorium like they used to back in the 1920's, before Congress made it illegal. Ah, the good old days! Maybe in our lifetime we'll see that puritan legislation repealed, then look out world - vacuum tubes will rule once again!
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I bet some of you have em framed on the wall over your fireplace huh?
                          Well, not actually framed ... but thumbtacked or taped to a wall by the workbench ... any day of the week
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40934[/ATTACH]
                            Is that Browski using COLORS in his schematics?! GO GET 'EM JUAN!

Comment

Never is a long time daz, check this out:
                              Attached Files
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                                Never is a long time daz, check this out:
                                I was exaggerating. I've seen em, but most of the schematics i have are older when they were all black. I think i prefer B&W too, probably just because i'm used to em. Color is likely a product of digital drawing while all the schematics done before computers were in every household were drawn by hand and photocopied. I see more older ones because vintage amps are what i like best and i tend to study those more than new stuff. Being a tech by trade i imagine a lot of whet you see is color since you repair a lot of new gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X