Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket pots

Hi!
    I want to replace the Master and Gain pots on said amp as they became noisy when turning them. I looked in many different places but nobody seems to offer the right ones. It is mainly about their size. They need to be about 1/2" to 9/16" in diameter preferably with a 1/4" flatted shaft. Can anybody recommend a source for them? Thanx.

Pots in guitar amps are almost always made to order for the OEM. Mesa would have the controls. You would not find them at Mouser or someplace like that.

Have you tried cleaning the existing pots?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

IME Mesa support for end users is great. They may not be able to route your call to the right person in real-time, but somebody will call you back and that person will have the answers.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

+1 on Mesa support. Pretty decent typically.

I'd try Caig Deoxit cleaner and lubricant on the pots first.

Barry

Comment

Also make sure the pots are not getting sprung. On a lot of recent era Mesas, if you swat the knob so it pushes inwards, it can actually push the back off the pot. SOmetimes it just gets loose.

IN those cases, demount the pot, and with large pliers, squeeze the little tabs tight again. The little tabs that hold the back cover on the pot. When it is loose, the wiper does not make as good contact with the resistive element.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanx for all the replies. I will try cleaning them first. Aaaaa... do I have to open them for that? Or just spray them or something? Mechanically they look sound. If that fails I will try to contact them.

Comment

This goes throgh the typical questions. I use the Caig cleaner then follow up with the protectant.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc...p/t-13956.html

Barry

Comment

helpful link. see Dexter Sinister's post about different cleaning chemicals.

I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I've used WD-40.
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Well, nobody is born with this innate knowledge so...what do you do.

I haven't used WD-40, and not because I knew better so call it luck, but certainly lots of contact cleaner over the years. I think the contact cleaner is probably just as bad of an idea. I also used to quickly move pots back and forth to clean them out when they got scratchy. Oops.

Comment

I had a some recent model boogie on my bench not long ago. Forget the exact
                    one.

Just about every pot on the thing was scratchy. That was a real head scratcher. Some how (maybe it was from here), I found out that Mesa put
                    some bad pots in some of their amps.

I called mesa and they sent me a replacement set. I think there was a nominal
                    charge.

They are great guys to deal with. Always courteous and prompt.

Comment

Second that (or third rather) on Mesa support. about 5 years ago I was having a problem with my Subway. I called them up for a schem and they asked me if it was the one with the potted FX loop board. It was. They had me send the chassis to them and they replaced the entire board with a new one with fresh componants (including new filters , the amp was about 9 years old at the time). All I paid was shipping, even though I was well past the warranty date. They even asked me if I wanted a "bright" switch or a "fat" switch installed with the new board. Top notch service.

Of course the entire amp is now modified into something else. As it turns out, I just didn't like the amp the way it was anyway .

Never had a problem with the pots on mine, but Mesa will almost certainly help you if you call them.

Chuck
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Cleaning pots.

Look at the pot where the three legs come out. Ther should be a space around them. Squirt cleaner in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X