The end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end...

Been closing down my shop, selling this, selling that, tossing those, remembering the others. But it has still been my shop I am sitting in, surrounded by familiar stuff. I emptied a lot of drawer bins into envelopes - resistors, transistors, diodes, etc. ANd I gave a couple drawer bin units to a friend last night. But even with three 60-drawer bins off the shelf, a dozen remain, so it is still a shop.

But today, I lined up a truck, leased a storage unit, and... sob... pulled my scope off the bench riser. Right before my eyes, the riser turned into a...shelf. I'll leave the computer up until the last moment for communication and breaks. But the secondary computer is about to come off.

I got one of those wheeled tool carts, like a mechanic uses, though on top I don't use a tool chest, I use by palleted took kit from my field days. Jensen or Platt, I forget, but the airlines could not destroy the thing, and they tried. I actually saw a baggage cart drag a wheel up and over it once. (Of course the same wheel ran over my garment bag too, and tore that up pretty well, so I am not sure who won.) Anyway, red steel tool cart, couple of drawers and a larger bottom area with garage door thing. The upper drawer was little special hand tools, markers, calipers, odds and ends, the second drawer was all test leads and specialized test hookups. Odd adaptors wired up for just that occasion when you have to connect say a MIDI cord to a garden hose, or whatever. I used to work on wound boards for arcades, and there was a remoted volume controls on a cable. When I get the board, it has no control, so I have a little Molex guy with a trim pot on it to plug into the board. That sort of thing. Haven't cleaned that drawer in years, so I threw out the ten dead scope probes (well, it might be handy to make some BNC wired thing one day, and...), and the collection of specially wired Molex jumper plugs for things I never see. Found my smaller dummy load resistors. 1 ohm , 5 ohm , evena couple 8s. Giving those to my grasshopper. And the large selection of fine aged mouse turds. Oh and all manner of BNC adaptors. BNC to male banana, BNC to female banana, BNC T adpator, and many others. I have them all clipped together so ti looks like the ISS sorta.

But in the morning, I will pick up the truck, and out we go. I like a challenge, and fitting all this crap into 10x10 feet will be one.

Pulled the big display rack of boxed fuses off the wall, that area looks blank. That was where the special speaker cables hung too, like the XLR4 to 1/4 male cord for working on flip top Ampeg chassis. The odd dual banana male to RCA male cord. I think that was for connecting cheap stereos with RCA speaker wires to my bench speaker/load patch panel. RCA to clip leads, BNC to clip leads, two wire detachable power cords for like Roland..... All gone.

Forgot I had socket adaptors. For 7 and for 9 pin sockets, pins on bottom, oh, look like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TVS7.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	871016
    Works like a bias probe adaptor, plug into socket, tube into adapator, then contacts circle it to connect probes, no need to go under chassis.

ANyway... all going away, and it finally sinks in that I am not in the game any longer.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Enzo,
    Life moves on but your great knowledge and good reputation will last for ever.
    I'm glad I had the opportunity to see your shop in person and I send my wishes that all will be good for you as you move on into retirement.
    Best Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 10-14-2016, 12:45 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo

Comment

That has to be tough.

So ya gonna a rock band now instead?
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Mick Jagger is doing it, and he's even older than I am.

I am going to continue being retired and broke, like I'v been doing, I just won;t have the familiar surroundings to sit in and pretend I am being productive. I have a friend I have been mentoring in the art of amp work, and I have been loading him up with STUFF.

I handed him a church key and he looked mistified. Then I told him it was the secret to getting tight knows off pots. The secret is using TWO of them. Put the flat end under the knob on opposite sides, then gently but firmly (whatever that means) lever it off. Using one lever or a screwdriver puts sideways pressure on it.

These"
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1863_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	843814

He prolly thinks I am nuts, looking in the bag and finding odd lengths of heat shrink. And other odd items.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          pretend I am being productive.
          We're having none of that - you're plenty productive here Enzo, giving good advice, spinning the occasional yarn & even more occasionally delivering a well deserved conk on the head to those who need it. I'm sure we ALL thank you for doing that, and please continue!

Also should mention continuing to be Wenzo's wonderful husband. That counts in the productivity tally too, good for both of you.

Meanwhile I'm having my own small-by-comparison problem today, my newer computer crashed on takeoff , claims the OS files for XP+ have been corrupted. No worries, I'll take that over to the computer corner, maybe someone here will have an answer.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Adjusting to retirement can be tougher for some than for others. Much of the literature indicates that the more multi-facetted one's sense of self is, the less of a punch to the guts retirement tends to be, simply because you're only losing one small part of yourself, not all of yourself. Retirement is a much harder adjustment for folks who define themselves largely by a single role: athlete, military man, police officer, politician, teacher, etc.

Still, even if you have a full, complex life - grandkids, religious community, hobbies, social causes, etc. - there are going to be some sorts of intellectual challenges that you go to bed thinking about, and plenty you don't. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who, despite having a zillion other things to be involved in/with, lies in bed thinking about what the downstream impact of setting these components over here might be down there.

So I feel for you, Enzo.

Comment

Mark has it. It's what you're DOING next, not what you're NOT DOING anymore that necessitates moving out of the shop. I fully understand the identity issue, but no one has cut Samson's hair (or beard ). So, maybe you're not going to be "in the shop Enzo" now. You're going to be whatever the next Enzo is. Because wherever you go, there you are. And life has a way of finding us in our element, familiar or otherwise. "Semi-retirement" can also be a consideration. You can be as much a hero helping a local shop maybe? Certainly you continue to help us. And I know you'll keep a good amount of bench gear for your own purposes and even helping others in your building.

From what I hear you and Wenzo could polish your bit and take it on the road Dual income
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I have a friend I have been mentoring in the art of amp work, and I have been loading him up with STUFF.
                IMHO, this is one of the best things we can do, passing the knowledge on to others in a hands on way. I answered a local Craigslist ad for "can anybody help me convert this amp into a guitar amp?" I responded that I'd give it a try and it turned out that he lived only a mile away in a Mpls. metro area of around 3 million total population. What's the chances of that? We had to start with basic electric theory, you know "a 1.5 volt battery has a 10 ohm resistor connected, how much current flows?" because he really wanted to understand this stuff, not just have me build him an amp. In the end, he understood basic triode amplification theory and we converted a Hammond AO-35 (DR.Z Carmen Ghia original donor) into a great sounding amp. A very rewarding experience to say the least. Good for you, Enzo!
                Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

Enzo, while you're moving & stacking boxes of this n that, any more of those 8417's left or did The Dude buy 'em all. I got a couple old Bogen power amps that could use a few.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Not much to say here that hasn't already been said. I wish you well in your retirement, Enzo. KICK BACK AND ENJOY IT!
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I just found another eight 8417s. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        I wish you well in your retirement, Enzo. KICK BACK AND ENJOY IT!
                        I wish you the same Enzo.

Comment

Get busy Enzo! No kicking back. Find things you enjoy and invest yourself in them.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I would, but the wife frowns on me bringing home the cheerleaders from the high school...

I am about to disconnect the computer.

Comment

...I am about to disconnect the computer.
                              Enzo,
                              What exactly does this mean? Disconnect the computer in the shop and move it to home and therefor off the air for a while? Or something else?
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X