The end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Oh I don't buy much stuff. I have a drug conviction on my record from 50 years ago, but they would find it. And I look like a biker or something, so... It has been many years since the last trip, but I had the opportunity for them to look up my butt hole for contraband.
    I resemble that remark! Lol!

Comment

Wow. Rented a 16 ft truck a few days ago, and spent a couple nights loading stuff. Today we unloaded into a 10x10 ft storage unit. The wife, o she of little faith, kept telling me it would never all fit. She wasn't around in my touring days when I was king of the truck packers. We packed it in with room to walk around and for my wheeled cart to sit. Things are even relatively accessible. I kept certain items out front expecting to sell soon.

I had been picking at the shop a long time, but as I loaded, and the truck got fuller, and as I lost energy (Hey, I'm old...), I was watching myself lower the threshold for throwing things away. I left behind my big pile of power adaptors, never would have thought that. I saved out some odd ones, like for Rane, and Spirit mixer, those actually sell online for $$$. Left an old computer, left all my shelves. Things I had always envisioned were useful or were going to be a project. I know they won't, but it sank in as the mental cost rose. I am glad I had all that junk around me, as it now and then allowed a repair to happen, but in closing, they become pointless anchors.

Fortunately a couple friends came along to help. My former partner, and a long term customer who has become a close friend. Partner took over the schlepping and hauled most of the heavy stuff. He still hauls PA systems around for a living anyway.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm probably the last one who should say this, as I have a tendency to keep things that should probably be tossed. More than once it's paid off, but still......
        Every once in a while, I have to remind myself that "space" has value, too.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hey Enzo any chance you still have those project Gibson amps. I figured I would probably buy them one day when I'm in the area again

Comment

Sorta. The young man I have been mentoring in amp repair came by to help me move out of the shop, and he was immensely helpful. The wife and I can barely lift things, let alone climb in and out of the big truck. So I gave him the two old 1x12 Gibsons as a deal. I told him to fix them up and sell them, and we'd split the profits. All parts expense comes off the top. But if you are coming this way, I can find out if he has worked on them or not, and whether he is jonesing to do so. If he is not attached to them, I'd be happy to work a deal with you.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              I was watching myself lower the threshold for throwing things away.
              Boy I hate when that happens. Then, a year later you have some project and think "Oh, hey, I have something that'll work for this!" Then you look a little. Simultaneously taking an inventory of what you tossed. Eventually realizing you now need to BUY something you were smart enough to save once upon a time!!! True that MOST of the stuff is probably better off out of the picture, but SOMETHING is going to be THAT thing

Just roll like Dude. Remember the cost of that one thing you already had and could have used is a fair price for the value of space.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I always made room for those things, but now that I won't be doing repairs, I have to let go. Like the food processor that needs a new tub, been sitting there for 20 years.

Comment

You will never need any of those things until after you get rid of them anyway.
                  And even if you do keep them, you will only find them after you have bought a replacement.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    You will never need any of those things until after you get rid of them anyway.
                    And even if you do keep them, you will only find them after you have bought a replacement.
                    that's a RULE of some kind; at least it is at my house
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I canīt even walk inside my house (and itīs huge, what makes it worse) and everything is junk ... today .... yet at least in theory most can be repaired.
                      Pity is thereīs stuff sitting for 10/20/30/40 years and 99% of that will NOT be repaired , ever, at least because parts are unavailable or they simply rusted solid or whatever.
                      Oh well.

Iīm reading a self help book:
                      https://www.amazon.com/Buried-Treasu.../dp/0199329257

so far looks good, but not sure about doing everything it recommends.
                      Oh well.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        I canīt even walk inside my house (and itīs huge, what makes it worse) and everything is junk ... today .... yet at least in theory most can be repaired.
                        Pity is thereīs stuff sitting for 10/20/30/40 years and 99% of that will NOT be repaired , ever, at least because parts are unavailable or they simply rusted solid or whatever.
                        Oh well.

Iīm reading a self help book:
                        https://www.amazon.com/Buried-Treasu.../dp/0199329257

so far looks good, but not sure about doing everything it recommends.
                        Oh well.

Well...you could add the book to your collection
                        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I love those books, they are so naive. The premise is making yourself do something you don;t want to do.

My doctor once told me I could eat anything I wanted, just less of it. Well swell advice. If I had the discipline to stop eating when my desire was not satisfied, I wouldn;t have the weight problem now would I? Same with those closet organizers with little shelves for each shoe and stuff. Well if I had the discipline to put all my stuff in those little places, I would never have needed to buy their thing.

Comment

"Itīs EASY and PAINLESS to stop smoking.
                            So you smoke 38 cigarettes a day?
                            EASY: tomorrow you smoke 37 , you will notice no difference, do not tell me you can detect differencen between 38 and 37 because I donīt believe you.
                            Next day you smoke 36 and so on.
                            In less than a month and a half, you have stopped smoking for good, painlessly and with no effort."

Wonder why such logical advice NEVER works
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

well losing a huge storage space (the shop) and trading it for a less than accessible storage space that costs money (a storage unit) is a little bit like the lap band or gastric bypass approach to eating less; there's no room to do it like you used to!

Most people's materialism is gaseous; it expands to fill the space afforded it.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                                Most people's materialism is gaseous; it expands to fill the space afforded it.
                                Right! Remember when a 1GB hard drive would have been more space than you could fill in a lifetime?
                                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X