The end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
    Right! Remember when a 1GB hard drive would have been more space than you could fill in a lifetime?
    I saw a 4 TERAbit drive the other day.

That's Tera as in Trillion!

Comment

Wow, you could probably store a whole Ken Burns movie on one of those.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo,
        I just wanted to say thank you for your help over the years. I've been retired for a year now. Usually I'm busy enough that I'm not sure how I did all these things & worked. I've got a bench in my basement & some of my old customers seem to find me so I keep my hand in it that way. I'm only working on what interests me, at my own pace.
        I hope you will stay active on the Forum. Every time you post something I learn something.
        Best of luck to you, stay happy & healthy my friend.
        Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

I'm pretty sure Enzo has a book deal in the works... :hint hint:
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Just saw this. Enzo, enjoy your retirement. You've certainly earned it and of course you will probably spend more time helping people here and elsewhere so we get as much benefit from your retirement as you do. One word of advice from someone who lost his job of nearly 20 years ago last april and may well just be retired myself...stay busy ! I've found It's so very easy to get lazy when theres no timeline to adhere to.

Comment

Congratulations and also condolences. Must be a little bitter sweet.

There are a few "enzoisms" that have stuck with me but the one that stays with me all the time is "look for horses, not zebras". That's how I remind myself to not overthink things, even in my hvac career. And I've used it when training the new guys too.

Thanks
              ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                Congratulations and also condolences. Must be a little bitter sweet.

There are a few "enzoisms" that have stuck with me but the one that stays with me all the time is "look for horses, not zebras". That's how I remind myself to not overthink things, even in my hvac career. And I've used it when training the new guys too.

Thanks
                The time has come to do a tribute - a compilation of favorite Enzoism's

Mort has kicked off I'll add one, someone else can add another, and another, here's hoping..

"Look for horses, not zebras"
                "Never look for reasons not to check something"
                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

"hum is not generic"
                  ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Not really an "Enzoism", but I've often wondered how many times he's told someone to call Peavey for a schematic. Probably on a "hot key" by now.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"hum is not generic"
                      "Most anything that breaks will work up until that point. Everything works until it doesn't."
                      #1, isolate the problem.
                      "When it starts working, stop "fixing"
                      "Volts don't kill tubes. Watts do"
                      "Narrow down the problem"
                      "we're here to repair things, not re-engineer them"
                      "#1. At home or at work... Get the right tool for the job"
                      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Aw, gee guys...

My favorite piece of shop advice is about sheet metal screws and wood screws. When you go to put screws back in, turn them backwards until you feel the screw drop into the old threads, THEN tighten it up. otherwise you cut new threads each time and eventually you run out of material.

So they turned of the phone and internet the other day, computer is now on my coffee table for lack of a better spot. The landlord had emptied the dumpster, though he had it over half full already, so I went back and cleaned out the debris and dead stuff, filled it up again. Took a lot of stuff to the scrap yard, should have done that earlier, they love transformers, and I tossed tons of them. Got everything out, swept the floors and scooped up the dirt. I left him my shelving, a couple speakers, a stereo receiver, and a NOS Moen shower valve unit. Oh and the drafting stool I sat on at my bench. SO I got no reason to go back there.

I filled the car with scrapyard stuff, but had one three foot tall empty steel equipment rack, had to come back to remove that after I emptied the car. I always thought someone would want that, but nope. I also had an 18 gallon Rubbermaid storage tub full of Model Railroader magazines, and a bunch of Trains magazines. No one wanted them, but the night before I made my last trip, a guy called after my Craigs listing of the magazines, "Still got those?" So we arranged to meet there in an hour, and so they did find a good home. I thought the listing had expired.

Tomorrow afternoon, my friend will come claim his OBx Oberheim from my storage place.

Now I can relax a little.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Oh, and the schlepping has been physically demanding and tiring, plus I have been in a-fib a lot lately, and I seem to have snapped back into a steady rhythm, so feeling better for that reason too. MAybe stress related, who knows. Cardiologist in December.

Comment

Enzo--

Congratulations on a career of doing what you love. Thank you for being the heart and soul of this place. Seems to me that your giving spirit, along with extraordinary expertise, sets the tone around here. Sincerest thank you sir.

Hope you feel better soon.

When you do, any chance you'd consider writing a book? (I would guess that you may already have done so, but I didn't immediately find anything under "Enzo").
                            Well, you know what they say: "One man's mojo is another man's mojo".

Comment

Reading Enzo is genuinely enjoyable and extremely satisfying. You really do have a command of language and character to be able to set a reader into your think in a comfortable way that simultaneously drives straight to the point at hand, clearly and concisely and not without a little humanity and humor.

edit: it would be nice to put a face to the personality
                              ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

mort: there are photos of me here somewhere. Just a big old hairy guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X