No announcement yet.

Gallien Krueger 800rb repair - No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick posted some schematics in post #4. Please advise which one is correct.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I tried those. I get a 404 server error.

Edit: I have several, but no idea which amp we have here. As I said, there are different versions. I'll post one schematic. Let us know if this is the right one.

gallien-krueger_800rb_sm.pdf
      Last edited by The Dude; 10-24-2019, 01:03 AM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by beedoola View Post
        Yes, getting the .375v on the diode function.

Testing each transistor (also in the diode testing mode on the DMM) out of the circuit all tests good - OL in one direction and .513 or a little above on every transistor.

Using the DMM in the diode mode and touching the pads on the PCB where the transistor connect shows the .375v reading - regardless of the orientation of the probes.
        Not sure, but it doesn't sound like you're checking all of the transistor junctions for each transistor. You need to check B-E, B-C, and C-E for each. A transistor can be good (for instance) B-E, but shorted C-E.

Comment

GK 800RB Power Amp PCB Parts Placement guide Rev C attached

I ran that PCB Parts Placement guide thru my Acrobat Distiller, now this should appear. It always comes up in my computer, but, that's local. I didn't check the result yesterday after providing the link. This now comes up. Just the layout, not the rest of the Service manual.

800RB_PwrAmp_PCB_Parts Placement_RevC.pdf

Also, check the small signal xstrs in the circuit....the current limiter xstrs Q15, Q16, the bias xstrs Q13 & Q14, the Level Shift xstr Q11. Also check the 5W emitter resistors of the output xstrs, as well as the resistors R40 & R41 (2.7k 1W) Do likewise on the HF amp. At present, your reading of 0.375 in all directions isn't making sense, so since the large power xstrs are measuring ok out of circuit, something else is causing this. It's a relatively simple amplifier circuit. Opamp, level shifter xstr Q11, followed by a voltage gain stage xstr Q12, then it's all unity current gain stages (drivers Q17, Q21) and output xstrs Q18, Q19, Q20, Q22, Q23, Q24). We trust the power xstrs WERE installed correctly (NPN and PNP's being where they're supposed to be).
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            Not sure, but it doesn't sound like you're checking all of the transistor junctions for each transistor. You need to check B-E, B-C, and C-E for each. A transistor can be good (for instance) B-E, but shorted C-E.

Thanks. I did only check B-E on the output transistors initially - both in and out of circuit. I just tasted all the options with the collector as well, out of circuit. They all tested good.

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            I ran that PCB Parts Placement guide thru my Acrobat Distiller, now this should appear. It always comes up in my computer, but, that's local. I didn't check the result yesterday after providing the link. This now comes up. Just the layout, not the rest of the Service manual.

[ATTACH]55724[/ATTACH]

Also, check the small signal xstrs in the circuit....the current limiter xstrs Q15, Q16, the bias xstrs Q13 & Q14, the Level Shift xstr Q11. Also check the 5W emitter resistors of the output xstrs, as well as the resistors R40 & R41 (2.7k 1W) Do likewise on the HF amp. At present, your reading of 0.375 in all directions isn't making sense, so since the large power xstrs are measuring ok out of circuit, something else is causing this. It's a relatively simple amplifier circuit. Opamp, level shifter xstr Q11, followed by a voltage gain stage xstr Q12, then it's all unity current gain stages (drivers Q17, Q21) and output xstrs Q18, Q19, Q20, Q22, Q23, Q24). We trust the power xstrs WERE installed correctly (NPN and PNP's being where they're supposed to be).
            Thank you, this was very informative!

Tested Q-15, 16 and the others in circuit, some did not test correctly. Upon removing them from the circuit they all test good.

R40 and R41 test good.

Tested all the 5w resistors and they are good.
            I also tested some of the diodes as another poster suggested. Again, I got inconsistent readings in circuit but removing them and testing them they seem to be testing good.

I also removed all the wiring from the power supply PCB to the transistor PCB just to see if the problem was on the transistor PCB. disconnecting the wires made no change to the readings I've mentioned before on the transistor pads nor did it stop the other transistors and diodes I mentioned from testing bad.

I'm done for the tinkering today but I'm going to try and see what else I can do.

Comment

When you were getting the bright limiter bulb, did you have the amp unloaded?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes

Comment

Is there anything else that can be tested that would explain the aforementioned voltage across the transistor pads?

Comment

Is there anything else that can be tested that would explain the aforementioned voltage across the transistor pads?
                    Is this occurring on BOTH the LF and HF amps? Or just on the LF amp. Apart from the power supply levels, the basic circuit topology of the two amps is VERY similar. AND......the 0.375V reading you've been getting is the Diode Test reading with the power turned off, correct? I for one don't find an answer for what you've been reading. Apart from the device type used for Q2 and Q12 Voltage Gain Stage xstr of the two amps, and less outputs in the HF amp, the power amps ARE virtually identical. Same gain. Since your power xstrs measure ok out of circuit, have you put them back in, and, using your light bulb limiter, does the amp power back up without the bulb burning bright?

Assuming your issue is with only the LF amp, and NOT the HF Amp, you have that HF amp as a reference for comparison to the LF amp in troubleshooting.

Comment

Yes. With the power turned off.

With the amp On and the light bulb limiter it was showing a short. Amp kept blowing fuses.

I gathered people thought that .375 was an anomaly. I pulled all the output transistors to test and ensure they weren't defective which they aren't.

I'm kind of at a loss in terms of what else I can test.

Can I turn the amp on without the leads from the capacitor board hooked up to see if the short is still present? Capping off the leads, of course.

Comment

I'll say it again (see posts#45 and #47). We need to know what amp you have. Please post a schematic or verify the one I posted is or isn't for your amp. Without some sort of road map, we can't tell you what to test.

Comment

Yup schematic time since flying blind is not very resourceful. When you post the schematic measure resistance from every output transistor leg to ground. Got make sure those aren't shorting to ground.
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Yes. With the power turned off.

With the amp On and the light bulb limiter it was showing a short. Amp kept blowing fuses.

I gathered people thought that .375 was an anomaly. I pulled all the output transistors to test and ensure they weren't defective which they aren't.

I'm kind of at a loss in terms of what else I can test.

Can I turn the amp on without the leads from the capacitor board hooked up to see if the short is still present? Capping off the leads, of course.
                            As you're using the light bulb limiter, I gather you're not equipped with a Variac and a power analyzer (or you would have been using them all along). What you CAN do, which seems like you're thinking towards that, is to disconnect the +/-80V supply leads from the upper power supply board to the power amp board below...cap the wire ends off so nothing shorts, and leave the +/- 60V supplies connected, and try powering up. If that's still brightly glowing, then disconnect the +/- 60V leads in the same fashion, and power up again, now having the power amp circuits disconnected from the supplies, leaving just the +/- 15V supplies connected to the front panel preamp board and what is used of that on the power amp circuits. If you're still glowing brightly, you have a fault in the power supply circuits. You can further isolate the lower voltage from the higher voltage by disconnecting the AC input to the bridges.....though at this point, a simple OHMMETER check in Diode Mode will identify a shorted bridge rectifier. Shorted supply caps can be found in Ohms mode. Mind that all the filters are in parallel (3 pairs in the /- 80V supply for LF, 2 pairs in the HF amp supply. Generally, fault in the +/- 15V supply won't take out the mains fuse, so normal troubleshooting of the discrete parts in that regulator circuit that comes off the +/- 60V supplies.

If your supplies are all ok, I've often had to resort to using an external bipolar lab supply to bring up a power amp, even though I wouldn't be coming up to full normal supply potentials. It's often high enough to help isolate the problem, plus the lab supplies normally have current control so you can regulate the output for just idle conditions. A Variac also allows this sort of approach, now using the products internal power supplies. Good hunting.
                            Last edited by nevetslab; 11-08-2019, 02:49 AM.

Comment

As you're using the light bulb limiter, I gather you're not equipped with a Variac and a power analyzer (or you would have been using them all along). What you CAN do, which seems like you're thinking towards that, is to disconnect the +/-80V supply leads from the upper power supply board to the power amp board below...cap the wire ends off so nothing shorts, and leave the +/- 60V supplies connected, and try powering up. If that's still brightly glowing, then disconnect the +/- 60V leads in the same fashion, and power up again, now having the power amp circuits disconnected from the supplies, leaving just the +/- 15V supplies connected to the front panel preamp board and what is used of that on the power amp circuits. If you're still glowing brightly, you have a fault in the power supply circuits. You can further isolate the lower voltage from the higher voltage by disconnecting the AC input to the bridges.....though at this point, a simple OHMMETER check in Diode Mode will identify a shorted bridge rectifier. Shorted supply caps can be found in Ohms mode. Mind that all the filters are in parallel (3 pairs in the /- 80V supply for LF, 2 pairs in the HF amp supply. Generally, fault in the +/- 15V supply won't take out the mains fuse, so normal troubleshooting of the discrete parts in that regulator circuit that comes off the +/- 60V supplies.

If your supplies are all ok, I've often had to resort to using an external bipolar lab supply to bring up a power amp, even though I wouldn't be coming up to full normal supply potentials. It's often high enough to help isolate the problem, plus the lab supplies normally have current control so you can regulate the output for just idle conditions. A Variac also allows this sort of approach, now using the products internal power supplies. Good hunting.
                              Power supply board is good and no shorts.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              I'll say it again (see posts#45 and #47). We need to know what amp you have. Please post a schematic or verify the one I posted is or isn't for your amp. Without some sort of road map, we can't tell you what to test.
                              Schematic links have been posted by others.

Comment

Pretty sure it has already been posted:

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/file...ual-472053.pdf

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                                Yup schematic time since flying blind is not very resourceful. When you post the schematic measure resistance from every output transistor leg to ground. Got make sure those aren't shorting to ground.
                                Yes, I had mentioned the readings in prior posts.

I get the bulb glowing with the 60 and 85v connected. Disconnected the 85v first. Then the 60v - I get no light bulb glow with the 15v connected. Though should the indication LEDs be glowing at that point?

I reconnected the 85v with the 60v disconnected just to see if the 60v was the culprit and the 85v was ok - that was not the case.

I did the testing with all the components previous removed reinstalled.

R3 and R4 on the power board blew and I'm not sure if I had the 15v connector on backwards. Replaced them and they haven't blown again.

I'm going to take apart the transistor board again and take the metal mounting plates off to make sure some conductive material didn't somehow get in there and is what is causing a short somewhere.
                                Last edited by beedoola; 11-26-2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X