Yamaha EMX5000 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha EMX5000 no power

EMX5000 was working then shut down. Got it home and it started working again. A day or two later shut down again. This happened a couple more times before shutting down and won't turn back on. All fuses are fine.

I am assuming the problem is in SMPS 2/2. I do have the Service manual and PS diagrams. I am somewhat of a novice. I've googled this and read what I could find, it's sounds like it could be somewhat tricky without experience with SMPS.
    Could someone possibly help me out troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't assume. You could be right, or the SMPS could be doing its job by shutting down when a load problem exists. If we can disconect the power amp from the SMPS, that might help us look.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

No speakers plugged in.
      3 wire harness to mixer ((B+,B-) disconnected.

Thank you Enzo.

Comment

What is the next step in troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I guess Enzo is busy. So I'll step into the breach for now. The 3 wire connector is the power to the main amp. The other voltage rails will still be connected via the 10 way cable so leave that in place for now. Power up and check the DCV on the pins of the B+/- connector to see if the power supply stays up. Take great care not to short any pins out and be aware these are something like 100V each. If the SMPS is still shutting down unplug the 10 way cable and retest. If it's still shutting down the SMPS is bad. If OK then I'd check that there is not a problem on on the rails carried on the 10 way cable.
          Last edited by nickb; 10-30-2016, 07:29 AM.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

0volts on B+/- rails and 10 way cable

Comment

Quote: "If the SMPS is still shutting down unplug the 10 way cable and retest.".

For those of you playing along from home: I have included the appropriate SMPS files.

emx-5000 SMPS Layout.pdf

emx-5000 SMPS.pdf
              Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 10-29-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I'm getting 120VAC on the primary side of T101.

Comment

R101, 134, either one open? (upper right feeding main rectifier - they are soft start resistors.)
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Both are good (7 ohms)

Comment

IC102 is the controller chip.

If you have voltage at pin 1 in reference to pin 4 and the supply will not start, I would replace that chip.

Comment

Ovolts on Control chip

Comment

To measure voltage at the Regulator IC 101, do I reference ground or common?
                          Can I measure the Diodes D103 & D105 in circuit?

Comment

Common, nothing in this primary side circuit is referenced to ground. BEWARE, common is sitting about -170vDC ffrom ground.

This is a simple supply, you measures 120vAC at the primary of the little transformer T101, but is there AC on the secondary? 20vAC give or take 10. And with power off, is the primary intact? ie it is not open?

The diodes? They are just diodes. They are open, they are shorted, or they are working. Unusual to be anything else. besides, you can test them by their function. if there is no secondary AC, then there is nothing for the diode to rectify. Your regulator appears not to output 15v, so is there DC at its input pin?

Comment

Ok update: was still getting sketchy measurements thought maybe I was doing some of them wrong (probably was at times). So I went back to SMPS 1/2 and poked around, not getting voltage. Pulled board and found AC input jack with bad solder joints. Solder would not even stick to posts. Pulled, cleaned, restored and happy to say it is now working.

I originally suspected this or the switch with it being intermittent before it completely quit. Somehow fooled myself into looking further down stream. Anyway lesson relearned. I did learn some stuff anyway so not a total waste of time.

Thanks again for everyone's help you guys are the best!

Comment

Working...
                              X