Google site search tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google site search tag

Newspapers often run abbreviated articles from AP to fill available space. In my archive of articles I deem worth saving I will do a Google search of the first line of the article which results in hits for the various papers that have published at least part of the article. Sometimes I get lucky and find the full article, sometimes not.

The "site:" search tag for Google will usually narrow the hits down to the site you specify (omit the leading "http://".) [Note: I have noticed recently that Google will sometimes include hits from other sites. Go figure...]

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

This search should get you the specific article you are looking for...

[search string] site:bigstory.ap.org

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

This search may also get you updates on that article and/or related stories...

[search string] site:staging.hosted.ap.org

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

Of course the Google site search tag should work on any site indexed by Google- you can try it here at MEF with the following string:

[search string] site:music-electronics-forum.com

You can run that in a separate browser tab if you want to search for hits without interrupting the thread that you are currently reading here at MEF.

Steve Ahola

P.S. When setting the search string as a keyboard macro I like to use the following syntax...

XYZ site:URL

... since it is usually easy to highlight the 3 capital letters and paste (or type in) the desired search text or site address.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Steve, do you use pressreader.com ? Sometimes you can even find articles that are for subscription only.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
    X