Boss TU2/3 buffer upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss TU2/3 buffer upgrades?

Has anyone tried to better the buffer? Do you think better fets or caps would help? I don't think that they are terrible but my analog man buffer doesn't take away any treble. Ideas?

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
    Has anyone tried to better the buffer? Do you think better fets or caps would help? I don't think that they are terrible but my analog man buffer doesn't take away any treble. Ideas?
    I have never noticed a roll off with a TU-2. It's the industry standard. Also never have heard of anyone modding one either.

Comment

Well compare it to other buffers. It's there. I will mess with finder a higher spec fet

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
        I will mess with finder a higher spec fet
        It does not work that way AT ALL.

Non Techs sometimes think that "products sound bad because of cheap parts" so "a mediocre product can be easily improved by using "better" parts"

It ainīt so, the sound comes from the *design* first and foremost and all modern parts are "good" anyway.

That said, any FET has flat frequency response from DC to VHF radio bands, so it can NOT cause any audible treble loss.

Please post both schematics, either the TU2/3 has some treble cut (maybe for good reason, such as killing external intereference) or, more probable, it is flat and others add some brightness, by design or chance.

But it probably depends on some capacitors (again, value, not "quality/brand/price/colour" ) here and there rather than the Fet itself.

To boot, typical buffers are unity gain source followers, as flat a response as you can ever have, probably well into the 100 MHz range.

Bad layout can also have an influence, but I very much doubt such a thing in a Boss pedal.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Relevant section:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TU2 Buffer.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	844040

This design will work into the MHz. If you certain you are hearing a problem then something is broken.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
          X