No announcement yet.

V4B Ampeg, trying to diagnose over the net for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should have been, but there must have been something bigger in there which is why the internal 10A blew. That's what 52Bill mentioned.
    Had there been no internal 'back-up' fuse, much more serious damage could have occurred, depending on what was really installed in the external fuse holder.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      It should have been, but there must have been something bigger in there which is why the internal 10A blew. That's what 52Bill mentioned.
      Had there been no internal 'back-up' fuse, much more serious damage could have occurred, depending on what was really installed in the external fuse holder.
      My favorite was always 1/4" aluminum dowel cut to fuse length!

Comment

I found a hunk of 1/4" bolt in a fuse clip once. But they at least used gold plated thread stock.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And the good old classic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse chart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	844109
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Looks like we may have found a culprit...one of the diode strings to the plates appears to be conductive. That would definitely do it.

Comment

Originally posted by reddart View Post
              Looks like we may have found a culprit...one of the diode strings to the plates appears to be conductive. That would definitely do it.
              And shorted flyback diodes could be caused by a lack of output load or dirty impedance switch as Leo_Gnardo suggested.

Comment

Working...
              X