Mitigating eddy current losses in pickup covers, and other metal parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antigua View Post
    I don't think the single through-cut between the D and G would be all that much different than no cut at all, because even though the test showed a more significant losses around the entire perimeter, there was no test comparing half of the perimeter, but if there were, I'm sure it would have been much closer to the full perimeter losses than the individual pole piece losses. I think ultimately the cut(s) have to involve all of the pole pieces from at least one approach, and in the case of a single coil pickup, also ensure there is no continuity around the perimeter of the cover.
    The problem is that although currents are produced in the locations where the tests revealed, the electrons are mobile, and able to follow the path of least resistance once set in motion. So the design problem is not limited to blocking current in those areas. You have to look at all the available current paths, and block almost all of them. As you suggest, the current from each set of 3 poles combine, and have a substantial return path immediately adjacent to the slot. So I fear, the single slot is not likely to make a big difference. Of course, we have always believed in experimental results to really decide such issues. If I had to wager on this, I would bet on a loss.

Comment

Got it. Oh well.

-rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
      X