Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting new tubes for blues amp, neep an opinion

Hey Y'all,
    I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and I love to play blues, jazz, and classic-style rock. Is there any way I can get a good amount of headroom on my clean channel for a nice warm jazz tone, but still be able to get a good, thick overdrive? If so, what kinds (brand and type) of tubes can I use for this? would a power attenuator help? Thanx y'all, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kemp
    The $eXaFoNe

Hi 6-a-phone! Well, you must have 12AX7 on your preamp, maybe you can switch them to 12BZ7, they're the same but half the plate resistance, so (after doing some maths) you'll have 3 more dB in each stage. Also, you can put these 12BZ7 and a lower gain first tube, like 12AV7, 12AT7 or even try a 12AU7, the lowest gainny of this kind (I think).

Comment

Loud

That's a pretty loud and trebly amp for harp.
      The lower gain preamp tubes like the 12AY7 will give you more control but you won't get good breakup 'till your LOUD.
      An attenuator will take care of that AND will scrub a little treble off.

JJ

Comment

Yeah, I was amazed at the headroom difference I got from tubes especially selected for headroom by the guys over at Eurotubes. I just changed out older JJ tubes for newer ones and asked for a set that would give me more headroom. I had to turn the gain WAY up after the change to get it to break. I had no idea the same kind of tube would have that much variation.

Tube Guru's--how is that possible?

Comment

Bias

Did you rebias ?

JJ

Comment

Working...
          X