No announcement yet.

Cheap Pickup Mods: Microphonics, Bobbins, Alnico Magnet Adhesives, and Potting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Pickup Mods: Microphonics, Bobbins, Alnico Magnet Adhesives, and Potting

Some background:

I haven't quite worked my way up to winding from scratch yet, but I have been modding existing stock designs with some good success. I am sticking with Strat-type single coils for now, the modern kind wound on plastic bobbins. I have had good luck removing the ceramic magnet and steel poles from cheap stock Fender pickups and replacing with Alnico magnets.

The Alnico rods I purchased (0.195" nominal) fit just a little loosely in the bobbins. I have been using very small pieces of scotch tape stuck to the sides of the Alnico magnets as a kind of shim to make them fit snugly inside the bobbin bores. This works OK for experimental purposes, because I am still trying different Alnico types, etc., so I like the fact that I can slide the magnets in and out if need be.

However, I am currently re-doing a pick guard for a friend's guitar, and I want the Alnico magnets to be more or less permanently installed in this case. Also, I am going to eventually try potting the finished pickups because they are microphonic (they were also microphonic before I messed with them, with the original ceramic+steel poles). I suspect if anything the microphonics got worse, since the Alnicos right now sit a little loose in the plastic bobbins.

The question:

I am looking for an adhesive recommendation to fix the Alnico magnets inside the plastic bobbin bores that will not have issues when I go to pot the pickups (don't want them slipping out in the hot wax).

I have thought of using epoxy, or maybe superglue (never much liked working with that, though). Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Regards,
    Dave

Hi Dave:
    Welcome.
    You can try just spot gluing the magnets on the bottom side with super glue.
    Then you can wax pot, at around 140F degrees.
    Most of use lots of super glue working with pickups.
    I like the permatex super glue from walmart auto department.
    It sets real fast.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-...e-4pk/16879911
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Hi T,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Permatex. I have never had much love for cyanoacrylate glues, but I see there is a new one people have been recommending: 2P-10 from FastCap. It supposedly has a shelf life of 2 years, and comes in several viscosities including gel, which takes away two of my usual objections to 'super glue':

2P-10 Adhesive (Standard & RT) - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

Have you tried this one? I am thinking of ordering a few different 'thicknesses', and the accelerator.

Regards,
      Dave

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Hi Dave:
      Welcome.
      You can try just spot gluing the magnets on the bottom side with super glue.
      Then you can wax pot, at around 140F degrees.
      Most of use lots of super glue working with pickups.
      I like the permatex super glue from walmart auto department.
      It sets real fast.
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-...e-4pk/16879911
      T

Comment

I only do the small tubes.
        Never seen a super glue, or silicon, that once opened doesn't harden.
        Especially in a hot shop.
        The small tubes do great until opened.
        I like mine the runnier the better, & the cheaper the better.
        YMMV.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Since you mention Permatex, the frets on parker guitars are glued to the fretboard. The adhesive is purportedly the same as the rear view mirror glue.

This site was made by prop builders. It's about gluing this to that:
          This to That (Glue Advice)

Comment

Working...
          X