Back After A Long Hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back After A Long Hibernation

Good to see that Ampage is still active! I used to hang out here in the early 2000s before making my "home" at Aron's.

I sometimes get asked for a recommendation for a beginner pedal. Still more often, I see a forum post from a frustrated beginner who has pulled a schem off a web site, cobbled something together and wondered why it doesn't work. Something I think helpful to such would-be builders is a clearly laid out path from a working circuit on a breadboard

Breadboard The Ursa Minor

to a finished pedal in a gig-worthy enclosure

The Ursa Minor

The resulting build sounds far superior to most of the one-transistor fuzz/distortions that I've seen.

Yea, I have a commercial interest in offering these links. However, most of the components are available from many sources and I have done my best to show good practices. When appropriate, please share with visitors here.

Originally posted by smallbearelec View Post
    Good to see that Ampage is still active! I used to hang out here in the early 2000s before making my "home" at Aron's.

I sometimes get asked for a recommendation for a beginner pedal. Still more often, I see a forum post from a frustrated beginner who has pulled a schem off a web site, cobbled something together and wondered why it doesn't work. Something I think helpful to such would-be builders is a clearly laid out path from a working circuit on a breadboard

Breadboard The Ursa Minor

to a finished pedal in a gig-worthy enclosure

The Ursa Minor

The resulting build sounds far superior to most of the one-transistor fuzz/distortions that I've seen.

Yea, I have a commercial interest in offering these links. However, most of the components are available from many sources and I have done my best to show good practices. When appropriate, please share with visitors here.
    Your build notes are great. I think the Range master clone you have is the very first kit I ever did. These notes here are great .

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yes, thumbs up from me ! For those with an urge to build this is a good detailed way to get started !
      I have a small suggestion.. show a picture of a tip ring and sleeve jack plug .. mention it's other role as 3 wire headphone jack,
      balanced line in and point out how it "lent itself" to working like a switch in active acoustic guitars & pedals to turn the battery on!
      As you no doubt understand from your detailed explanations "a picture is worth a thousand words" .
      Perhaps a picture of a um regular guitar jack beside the TRS one may help the user to experience the aha! moment . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_effect
      Excellent work Small Bear !!

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
        Yes, thumbs up from me ! For those with an urge to build this is a good detailed way to get started !
        show a picture of a tip ring and sleeve jack plug ...
        Thanks for the good suggestion! Makes sense, and I gotta think how to lay it out.

SD

Comment

Working...
        X