Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Hammond chassis for Marshall build ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hammond chassis for Marshall build ?

I think i will grab a Hammond large 17" x 8" x 3" aluminum chassis for my next build which is a 40 -50 watt possibly 2 el34 or 2 5881 & 3 12ax7 preamp tubes & more likely a solid state rectifier & single channel , maybe jcm 800 style or Trainwreck express & maybe a choke .My question is for anyone who uses these kind of chassis How big of an amp can you build using this size of chassis ? for now it will be a single channel but in future i may want to do dual channel with an fx loop .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Why bother? There are plenty of online stores that will sell you a ready to go punched chassis for a Marshall project.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	final.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	844263I used a Hammond 16" x 8" x 3" Powder Coated Black Chassis and Cover for a London Power Standard with a quad of 6V6 for Outputs. A bit tight but manageable.
      Cheers,
      Ian

Comment

Originally posted by GainFreak View Post
        Why bother? There are plenty of online stores that will sell you a ready to go punched chassis for a Marshall project.
        Cause I can buy it here in Canada for about $25 & besides why would i want a 27" long chassis which is what a 50 watt jcm chassis & i think it's overkill for a single channel amp .
        shouldn't 16" to 17" work just fine .
        Last edited by copperheadroads; 12-07-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

This book has a couple of amps with that size chassis (he uses a 2" deep instead of 3") including a Bassman. It has the chassis dimension layout for punching your holes, circuit board layout, bill of materials and all the rest of the info you need. It's not a kit but directions for a scratch build so you could do your homework and see which components you need to change for your JCM 800 since the original JTM45 was a Bassman copy. https://www.amazon.com/Building-Vacu.../dp/B004FKGVTA Here's another link in case the Amazon one doesn't work for you: Building Vacuum Tube Guitar and Bass Amplifiers Volume 2 by Tino Zottola - Guytronix The 5E3 uses a 10 X 6 X 2 chassis and the 1959 100W uses a larger one but the 50 watt model uses this 16 X 8 X 2(3).
          Last edited by DRH1958; 12-07-2016, 12:43 PM.
          Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

I was eyeing one of these for the build.
            https://www.cedist.com/products/chas...num-16-x-8-x-2
            https://www.cedist.com/products/chas...-x-8-x-3-black
            https://www.cedist.com/products/chas...num-17-x-8-x-3

Comment

Those 16 gauge Hammond chassis are too thin for heavy transformers. Even if you use big washers to spread out the load, they will eventually sink where the transformers are mounted.

I mostly use Watts Tube Audio (tubeamplifierparts.com) or Mojo, but I know how crazy shipping and customs charges to Canada can be!

This Canadian supplier makes 14 and 12 gauge custom chassis, and can pre-cut the IEC socket mounting hole for you, which is a major PITA.

I highly recommend the 12 gauge (.08 inches) for any Marshall project. I've never used these guys, but I've heard good reports on the amp forums:

Home

Comment

Don't forget that you need a way to mount the chassis into a cabinet. End flanges are my favorite.

Comment

Home

Wish they were in the US!

Comment

Wow thanks that just what I'm looking for

Comment

It would be handy to have end flanges but i will box the chassis in with the front & back of the cab .

Comment

Don't forget to put in battens so it is contained vertically as well.

Comment

battens ? Vertically ? is this like a column
                          Any cab i build will have a front/stop which will prevent the chassis from falling out the front of the cab & the back panel will prevent the chassis from falling out the back .

Comment

These are battens. They keep the amp from moving vertically and give you a handy place to mount a front panel:

Name:	SelectPine4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	844338

Finished product:

Name:	amps4007.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	844339

Name:	Talon2head02.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	844340

I usually make one of the rear battens shorter to allow clearance for the PT, but if you keep the PT about 2 inches from the end, you can make both the front and both back battens full length.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X