ValveKing 100 mod questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ValveKing 100 mod questions

Originally posted at the Ultimate Guitar forums by myself, just trying to get this thread out there to new faces. With luck, someone out there can help.

I picked up a Peavey ValveKing 100 mk. 1 head from an old friend of mine quite a few years ago who was in a bit of a financial bind and needed some quick cash. He always takes care with his guitar equipment and for $200 it was too good of a deal to pass up on at the time. Heck, it looked like it never saw a speck of dust when I bought it! I still play it regularly to this day and with a couple simple tweaks I'm liking the tones I get out of it, but I know it could be so much better than it is.

So I did some browsing around on the web and stumbled upon this page in the UG wiki where all kinds of VK100 head and 2x12 combo mods are listed https://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikis ... lectronics (major props to all the contributors for the work they did BTW). The Mesa and JCM800 mods really caught my attention. I know my way safely around a soldering iron and tube amp chassis, so I figured I would set out to discharge and disassemble my VK100 to do some of the mods listed. This is where my question comes in.

Wattage and voltage values are not mentioned for the capacitors and resistors used in nearly all the listed mods, let alone the ones I plan on doing, and I would truly hate myself for frying my amp by using components in circuits where their tolerances could be greatly exceeded. Do these values matter at all? Anybody out there done these mods already and can give me a little clarification on the wattage and/or voltage values of these components? Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

Hi,

I posted my VK mods here on the forum. You have to search.
    I've also done the JCM 800 mod which I didn't describe here. The one where you add a resistor to Relay for Volume boost so basically you get JCM mod when you turn the Volume switch on and when off you are at Stock VK distortion sound. Not sure, maybe I took some pics. I'll post them if I find them.
    As for the other mods I described what you need in the thread. Basically you'll be safe with 0,5 watt resistors or more. I think I changed only one cap for Orange drop.... maybe I mentioned the voltage also... If you wann play it safe get caps with 400 - 500 V and you're done.

Comment

Here the link for my VK thread:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t42005/

And about JCM mod, here are some pics:
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X