Work in progress, Vax potting pot..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in progress, Vax potting pot..

Working on an Arduino controller for a deep fryer for vax potting... It's properly total
    overkill but been working on it for a while...

Quick peek

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161201_214817 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	871098

Been working with a PID controller, but settled for a simple controller it's stable within 3 degrees Celsius
    Last edited by Claus H; 12-03-2016, 12:01 AM.

Originally posted by Claus H View Post
    Been working with a PID controller, but settled for a simple controller it's stable within 3 degrees Celsius
    In turning a Crock Pot into a sous vide cooker, I found out a few things.
    You can get a nice temperature controller, K thermocouple, and SSR relay kit for $30-50. eBay and Amazon sell them both bundled and separately.

The more expensive ($28-35) controllers will run directly off mains AC, handle a variety of temperature sensors, and the displayed temperature limit is essentially that of the sensor you choose. I am partial to the JLD612/TET612 for those reasons and because it handles cooling and heating systems both.

The cheap PID controllers (~$10 = REX-C100) have a firmware-limited temperature range 0-999.9C, only work with one sensor type, and must be powered from DC only. There are better REX controllers but you don't want them. Just get a good brand from the start.

While Platinum wire sensors (namely, a Pt100 RTD) are the most accurate, they are godawful slow, need at least 5 minutes to equilibrate. The one below reads 32.0 degrees Fahrenheit and it's only a class B. As temperature references go, ice water is the holy trinity of good+fast+cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PID-Pt100rtd-callibration-450px.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	844239

K thermocouples have a good response time usually well under 60 seconds at a minor cost of +/- 1C accuracy, so good+fast+cheap is still yours.

Warning on SSRs: The market is flooded with semi-counterfeit solid state relays (SSR) from FOTEK. If it costs less than $20, it's probably a 12 amp one relabeled as 25 amps and may not survive running your 1200 watt crock pot. The $15 controller+sensor+SSR bundles on eBay are guaranteed to have the REX-C100 controller and a relabeled SSR. Vendors LightObject and ColdFusionX cost more but sell a reliable bundle.
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I think by the time you spend all the money and time involved, you can just buy the hide glue pot for ~ $100 or used for less.

Comment

Yes indeed but where is the fun in that I Have tried a glue pot with a thermostat but it's never truly 65 or 70 degrees C
        The setup is really stable now +-1 degree has a little overshoot problem at first heat up from cold. But running all day here with different pickups in and out of it, it's very stable Money I spend on it well I paid 100 Danish kroner or the deep fryer, 50 kr on the SSR 100kr on the Arduino..
        Still under 50 bucks US

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
          In turning a Crock Pot into a sous vide cooker, I found out a few things.
          You can get a nice temperature controller, K thermocouple, and SSR relay kit for $30-50. eBay and Amazon sell them both bundled and separately.

The more expensive ($28-35) controllers will run directly off mains AC, handle a variety of temperature sensors, and the displayed temperature limit is essentially that of the sensor you choose. I am partial to the JLD612/TET612 for those reasons and because it handles cooling and heating systems both.

The cheap PID controllers (~$10 = REX-C100) have a firmware-limited temperature range 0-999.9C, only work with one sensor type, and must be powered from DC only. There are better REX controllers but you don't want them. Just get a good brand from the start.

While Platinum wire sensors (namely, a Pt100 RTD) are the most accurate, they are godawful slow, need at least 5 minutes to equilibrate. The one below reads 32.0 degrees Fahrenheit and it's only a class B. As temperature references go, ice water is the holy trinity of good+fast+cheap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41608[/ATTACH]

K thermocouples have a good response time usually well under 60 seconds at a minor cost of +/- 1C accuracy, so good+fast+cheap is still yours.

Warning on SSRs: The market is flooded with semi-counterfeit solid state relays (SSR) from FOTEK. If it costs less than $20, it's probably a 12 amp one relabeled as 25 amps and may not survive running your 1200 watt crock pot. The $15 controller+sensor+SSR bundles on eBay are guaranteed to have the REX-C100 controller and a relabeled SSR. Vendors LightObject and ColdFusionX cost more but sell a reliable bundle.
          Thanks I tried a PID controller but it overshot like crazy I probably did not have the right constants, I programmed a real simple PI controller with the Arduino, ha' calling it a PI controller! it's more like a real slow PWM controller but works very well, have done tests all day, after the initial overshot from melting all the vax, it stable at 65 degrees, well plus/minus 1.. So I am real happy..

Comment

Originally posted by Claus H View Post
            Thanks I tried a PID controller but it overshot like crazy I probably did not have the right constants, I programmed a real simple PI controller with the Arduino, ha' calling it a PI controller! it's more like a real slow PWM controller but works very well, have done tests all day, after the initial overshot from melting all the vax, it stable at 65 degrees, well plus/minus 1.. So I am real happy..
            Congratulations.

These days, I follow the Principle of Maximum Laziness and would have looked at the Arduino PID sketches for ideas.

Searching on "arduino PID autotune" is instructive.
            "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Working...
            X