No announcement yet.

Reverb tank -problem. Crate GT212 (and a general question about best practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb tank -problem. Crate GT212 (and a general question about best practices

I am new to electric guitar, having been a lifelong acoustic player..

anyway, I was recently given a crate GT212. It sounds great on all the channels, BUT.. the reverb does not work. the tank will activate when you touch it gently or pick it up, (sending sound through the amp) but will not work for the guitar signal. not with the pot at max, medium, or any point in between.

I would like help troubleshooting ! i am new at guitar amps. (basic electronics/soldering skills-- hifi enthusiast) aside from troubleshooting the reverb issue(to determine if I need to buy a new tank), I would like to know how to go about QC/testing the components in the schematic.

didnt know if there was a best practices or tutorial to help guide me. uncharted territory for me..

thank you so much

Welcome to the forum.

The fact that the reverb sounds off when you rattle it means the Return is working.

The Send, not so much.

First off, use an ohm meter & check the cable from the amp to the tank.
    With a good cable & a good tank input coil, you should be reading the coil.

Start there.
    Attached Files

Comment

If you don't have an ohm meter, you can for a quick test reverse the two leads that connect the tank. Now rattle the tank and see if there is any noise coming from the speaker. If there is, then you can assume that the input coil and wires are intact and working. If you don't, then you need to visually inspect the wires inside the tank and then do as JPB suggested, test the coil with a meter.

Comment

Working...
      X