Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drip edge Bassman power transformer

Drip edge Bassman head.
    Friend picked this up fairly cheap. Amp has had a rough life, previous owner had used it as a mod platform over the years and has many circuits through it and many holes drilled in it. Original fiberboard circuit was gone, it was basically bought as a chassis, cabinet, and iron. Power transformer, output and choke are original. My question involves the power transformer. I can smell it was burning, if many years ago, and i can see arc and carbon burn marks on the output tube sockets. I made a transformer test fixture to test unknown trannys, it has AC in, choice of 5y3 or solid state bridge, a 8K load and a 4K load. If i hook up this trans to the HV test, i can draw 150ma or more and have no problems. The filaments are the problem. It is 6.3vac unloaded, which seems low, line voltage is ~122. Putting a 3 or 4 ohm resistor (to draw ~2 amps) across the filament makes it drop to 5.9vac, it is rated at 3.15a. Pictures below, has it overheated and caused damage? I told the guy looks like it is bad.Click image for larger version

Name:	pt1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	871118Click image for larger version

Name:	pt2.jpg
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	871119Click image for larger version

Name:	pt3.jpg
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	871120

Originally posted by mozz View Post
    - - - I can smell it was burning - - - The filaments are the problem. It is 6.3vac unloaded, which seems low, line voltage is ~122. Putting a 3 or 4 ohm resistor (to draw ~2 amps) across the filament makes it drop to 5.9vac, it is rated at 3.15a. Pictures below, has it overheated and caused damage? I told the guy looks like it is bad.
    You're right, it's roasted. Send to the recycling bin without another thought.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

This thread makes me cry...

Maybe it's worth unwinding for scrap copper if youhave the time? Maybe it's worth a rewind? I guess if the whole amp was in better shape...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

It will be brought back to life as a AB165 or AA864 or mixture there of. Sad thing is there were a couple of them for sale and a bassman 135. My friend grabbed this one, have no idea what shape the others are in. This even had reverb added at one time. My guess is he was running 6550's or something which has high filament current, and it only lasted so long before the tar came out.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	pt4.jpg
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	844296

Comment

What's good is you can grab a fresh PT for a C-note more or less, from any of the usual suspects. If there's any sentiment towards the old iron, pry the bells off and stick 'em on your new transformer. Whatever you build, it's bound to be better than any of the kluge amps that were in there over the last couple of decades. Toughest decision: "what color do I want the turret board to be?"
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

AB165 or later!!! Minus the feedback on the 6L6s. Mine has a Twin Reverb OT. Love 'em! I even turned my Bassman 100 into an AB165. And I have a few original Fender 606 Schumacher trannies laying about...

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
            X