Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WD no longer selling to Canadians/ WD distro'd by Yorkville.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD no longer selling to Canadians/ WD distro'd by Yorkville.

Ive been using WD for a while for covers, pots, odd parts for partscasters.

I went to order a bunch of p90 covers this week and was told I have to go through Yorkville now.
    Yorkville wouldn't be so bad, but they're not set up to deal with small makers of things...they part of the L&M Empire. They want me to fill out a dealer app.

The worst part...they doubled and tripled the price of everything. They want to charge half of retail, not oem builder pricing, which is pretty nuts. Ad in tax and shipping and my covers are gonna cost 4 to 5x what I was paying from WD.

The other thing...Yorkville is only ordering every 4 to 5 weeks, waiting for enough requests to place a large order with WD. So instead of getting my parts in a couple of days, I'm looking at 4-6 weeks.

I don't blame WD, I'm sure stocking 75+ stores is great for them, but they've basically screwed every small builder in canada.

This a big lose lose lose for everyone who dealt with WD.

So, aside from my rant...alternate source for p90 covers?

half of retail is all I've ever gotten from WD. same with AllParts and Mojo. I've waited months for some parts to be in stock at AllParts, so nothing new to me.

cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I know ,Been dealing this & your right ! Prices almost tripled as is when there is another middleman .they wont get my support .
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
        I know ,Been dealing this & your right ! Prices almost tripled as is when there is another middleman .they wont get my support .
        It's brutal.

This deal is totally about getting all-parts out. I've had a repair friend tell me all-parts has dropped a lot the stuff he uses.

Basically. L&M wants an all-parts replacement, gets Yorkville to distribute them, to sell to L&m stores.

WD thinks they've hit paydirt as L&m stock the stores, but in 6 months, that will slow down.

I don't think anyone at WD asked a Canadian how this would play out. I get the feeling that WD actually cares about builders.

Yorkville had no idea that wd sold to this many small guys and for the prices they do.

Yorkville is probably happy to keep the line limited to L&m...they can mark things up to whatever they want...all proceeds go to the same company.

I got industry Canada to give me the numbers on Canadian music stores...L&m is just frightening, almost 90% of the market.

Comment

I've had nothing but great dealings with WD........Bummer
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Time to Canadian winders to get together, made a list of the best suppliers for the different things needed and make some big group-buys.

HTH,
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

Agreed

Comment

A Canadian close to the US border with a US mailbox could make this happen. Otherwise you will be at the mercy of your US cousins.

Comment

Things are now getting a bit tricky in that regard. I was unable to buy an amp footswitch from a US company without paying from a US based paypal or bank account, even though it was to be shipped to a US address. And even when you can, then you have to get it through customs.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    A Canadian close to the US border with a US mailbox could make this happen. Otherwise you will be at the mercy of your US cousins.
                    They've blocked all accounts with a Canadian credit card or phone number or address.

Comment

I don't have a WD account but if I did I'd be happy to reship to one person who could make the Canada wide re-distribution.

Comment

O/k.
                        I'll bight.

Who the heck is WD?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          Who the heck is WD?
                          WD supplies guitar parts, with an extensive inventory. Besides jacks & switches & nuts & tuners etc, lots of pickguards including ones found nowhere else & custom work too. Allparts is a competitor. In recent years some more familiar companies like Mojo and AmplifiedParts/Antique/CE have started into supplying more guitar parts besides pickups, but none have as thorough a catalog as WD. It surely will put a crimp on Canada's small-shop and individual guitar builders to have to source parts via Yorkville, with big markups on costs plus wait on delivery. So much for NAFTA, in this instance the easy-to-deal-with market has evaporated. Larger more established Canada manufacturers such as Godin and L'Arrivee, I expect they have their own supply lines and don't have to deal with WD.
                          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                            O/k.
                            I'll bight.

Who the heck is WD?
                            WD Music.
                            WDMusic.com - Best Online Store for Guitar Parts & Bass Parts
                            Welcome to WDBiz.com

It seems no one wants to ship to canada.
                            This isn't the first company to tighten up on Northern shipping!
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                              I don't have a WD account but if I did I'd be happy to reship to one person who could make the Canada wide re-distribution.
                              If someone were to do this and WD found out, they would lose their account in mighty short order. Just a friendly public service announcement.

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              It seems no one wants to ship to canada.
                              This isn't the first company to tighten up on Northern shipping!
                              T
                              My pet theory is this has to do with sales tax losses. There may be pressures from various agencies to clamp down on sales that skirt provincial and federal taxes. What made me come up with this is when ebay started pushing the third party pitney bowes shipping (global priority). 'Import fees/duties' are collected alongside the shipping fee. Even when the items are duty free. The mystery fees always seem to be about what the tax would be. Whether these fees are then directed to the appropriate agencies is also a mystery.
                              If same item is shipped USPS, there may or may not be taxes collected by Canada Post, kind of hit or miss.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X