Fender Hot Rod Deville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deville

I have this amp here and the output board is burned up so bad that I felt it was better to replace it...so...i ordered a replacement board through the local music store from Fender...Received it a couple of weeks ago..... (it is a full replacement board complete with all controls, jacks,and the tube board all attached)..... and was going to install it tonight but it looks like the replacement board is for a Hot Rod deluxe......and looking at the schematics the amps are different....the power supplies in the amps are different...they don't supply the same voltages.....The original circuit board is dated 1995....the new one is dated 2009....Am I correct in assuming that the new output board will not be compatible with the older one?? Looks like the voltages are much higher for the Deville than for the Deluxe.....suggestions anybody????

More recent versions of the two amps use the same board, just different parts lists. The voltages are determined by the power transformer, which I assume is still original.

Go here: Guitar Amplifier Schematics and more
    and download the Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille III schematic, under Fender. It uses the 2009 board. Does your new board have a little fuse in clips nestled under one of the 6L6 sockets ther in the corner? That is a sure sign.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a schematic for HRDx III, which includes data on DeVille as well. Shows DeVille B+ at 465v. HRDx does not have the 700v reservoir cap. So yes, using the HRDx circuit board with a DeVille PT could be trouble. OTOH, AFAIK, the circuit boards are identical! So you can ADD the missing reservoir caps, and end up with a HRDx with higher voltage on the plates.

How much did you have to pay for the replacement?
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        More recent versions of the two amps use the same board, just different parts lists. The voltages are determined by the power transformer, which I assume is still original.

Go here: Guitar Amplifier Schematics and more
        and download the Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille III schematic, under Fender. It uses the 2009 board. Does your new board have a little fuse in clips nestled under one of the 6L6 sockets ther in the corner? That is a sure sign.
        Thanks Enzo....Yes, the board has that fuse next to one of the 6L6 sockets.....actually the one on the end...I have the original service manuals from Fender and the voltages in the amps are different...

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          I have a schematic for HRDx III, which includes data on DeVille as well. Shows DeVille B+ at 465v. HRDx does not have the 700v reservoir cap. So yes, using the HRDx circuit board with a DeVille PT could be trouble. OTOH, AFAIK, the circuit boards are identical! So you can ADD the missing reservoir caps, and end up with a HRDx with higher voltage on the plates.

How much did you have to pay for the replacement?
          Thanks xtian.....yes, this replacement board only has one 350V cap...there is a wire jumper instead of the resistor which connects to the other vacant 350V cap location....as far as cost goes.....$100.00
          I forgot to mention....The board only has 4 filter caps for the supply...the original has 6 caps.....

Comment

You can either retrn the board, or convert it to the other model from the service documents.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              You can either retrn the board, or convert it to the other model from the service documents.
              Just checked out the power supplies...I have the one for the deluxe.......I will have to look this over...there is more to this than just a couple of filter caps....and if I screw around with the board and something doesn't work right I can't return it.....I'll go through this over the weekend...Thanks for the reply....

Comment

HOW did your dealer get a board from Fender? Neither of our local authorized service centers has been able to do that any of the times we have asked - they had to cobble the old POS board together with "chewing gum and bailing wire".

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
                  HOW did your dealer get a board from Fender? Neither of our local authorized service centers has been able to do that any of the times we have asked - they had to cobble the old POS board together with "chewing gum and bailing wire".
                  http://music-electronics-forum.com/n...reply&p=442346
                  The local music store ordered it for me...took a few months...

Comment

They changed the filtering on the newer boards.

It should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                      They changed the filtering on the newer boards.

It should be fine.
                      What I might do is just replace the tube board which is burnt up beyond repair....I will have to check the two boards to see if they are the same...as the power supplies supply different voltages....the Deville uses higher supply voltages than the Deluxe......

Comment

The supply voltages are different because of the different power transformers as Enzo mentioned.
                        If the new revision has changed the filtering, as drewl stated, then it will be changed for both models of amps.
                        Unless they have made changes to the voltage dropping resistors in the supply, the new board should not affect the voltages.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          The supply voltages are different because of the different power transformers as Enzo mentioned.
                          If the new revision has changed the filtering, as drewl stated, then it will be changed for both models of amps.
                          Unless they have made changes to the voltage dropping resistors in the supply, the new board should not affect the voltages.
                          That's just it....some of the voltage dropping resistors have been replaced with jumpers...and the new board has less capacitors.....I won't get a chance to really size this up until the weekend...maybe Sunday.......Then again I am supposed to start decorating the house for Christmas....thanks for the reply.....got to go and fire up the shovel again.....We have a lot of snow here and the plows don't help matters either.......who wants some snow??? Free for the taking.....I can give you tons of it!!

Comment

Both models are covered in the same service manual we linked to. COmpare the board layouts. Some changes will be subtle, but big ones like he filter caps should be readily apparent.

Comment

Look at the schematic, the B+ supply. The higher voltage of the DeVille has a pair of stacked 350v caps, the Deluxe with lower voltage has a single 500v cap. So to use the same board, for the single C31, there needxs to be a jumper wher C32 would have been to complete the ground connection. Same thing happens on the othe side of the choke. The 220k equalizing resistors serve no purpose in the Deluxe, so they are left out.

Now look closely at the bias supply and related circuits. The volatges are different as ar how they are derived, so jumpers are removed or installed as apporpriate. Also note value of the resistors are different between the two bias circuits.

I leave it to you to explore the audio circuits. The differences are noted in the drawing, also read carefully teh notes at the bottom,. it addresses the differences in a number of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X