Computer Input Peripheral Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Input Peripheral Devices

A good place to review and discuss add-on computer input peripherals.

I use laptops, and have always used the built-in touchpad with tapping.
    Not all touchpads are created equal, and at times a mouse is desirable.
    I recently purchased an inexpensive, logitech M185 usb optic cordless mouse.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-...Black/16207314
    What I like about it, being small in size, and no drivers required to use it.(not sure if windows needs an additional driver on not)
    You plug in the small usb receiver, turn on the mouse and it works.
    I use linux, and it instantly worked with linux also.
    It works very well, even on the arm of my armchair.
    It has the wheel which makes it easy to scroll up and down the forum page, which is not always optimal with a touchpad.
    BTW the usb receiver, fits neatly in the bottom of the mouse, for storage.
    If you don't have a mouse, or have been wrestling with a corded mouse?
    Give a usb optic mouse a try.
    If you want a similar mouse in a larger size, they make those too.

If you have any usb cordless mice, or cordless keyboards you want to review, please do that here too.

T
    Last edited by big_teee; 07-20-2019, 10:46 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

My big concern with cordless mice is always battery life.
    Any idea on how long this one lasts?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Not sure on the battery life.
      The product description says 1 year battery life.
      It comes with the one AA battery required to run it.
      Most of us have AA 1.5V batteries laying around.
      We seem to use lots of those here around the house.
      I get hand fatigue using the touchpad, doing repetitive things like solitare, or mahjongg.
      So I fire up the mouse for that.
      The rest of the time I leave the cordless mouse off on my side table, next to my Chair.
      I use the touchpad when typing.
      BTW, when the cordless mouse is on, both the laptop touchpad, and the cordless mouse work at the same time.
      Unless you go to options, and turn off the touchpad. Both being on, I actually like!
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I prefer a full size mouse, and yes, the little RF ones are great. A tiny little USB plug-in receiver, and the thing just works. I do recommend turning it OFF underneath when you leave teh computer. BAttery life is OK, but turning it off leaves it NOT watching for movement all day long, so better battery life.

My wife has a smaller version of a lap top she uses, is that a net-book? it has the touch pad. I know we all have different tastes, but I hate it. When I mouse a down and over move to select an area of a schematic, it is simple, on the touch pad, much less so. Plus I all the time find myself inadvertantly brushing the pad with a finger as I type, and it moves the darn cursor. I find the second half of a sentence in the paragraph above. But I am completely sold on the wireless mouse. The receiver only sticks out less than a quarter inch, so I leave it in there on our lap top.

I could see a mini-mouse being a lot easier to put in your pocket to go travelling.

I bought a scanner a long time ago, and am glad I did. Now they make scanner/printers, so we have those in the house. And not expensive. So I can scan something into the computer. I can use it as a copier, so it scans and prints a documant, and of course it is a printer. The one we mainly use is WIFI capable, so we need not run wires all over. Our ISP has a WIFI in the modem, and we use it for the lap top and the smaller one. I have a cable to my desk top, but will likely go wifi with that too, once I get it off the coffee table. I like the scanner for scanning commercial schematics to share, but I can also knock out a quick drawing by hand and scan it in to share. And we make copies of receipts and stuff. The wife does secret shopping and has to submit copies of sales slips. Lots of scanner uses. And totally happy for WIFI on the printer. Printer sits in the corner across the room, no cables.

I used to want a scribble pad - I am sure there is an official name. A surface you can draw on with a stylus or fingernail, and it records teh result. Just like the thing in the checkout lane in the store that you make a signature with a fingernail. I could draw a quick sketch. But now I just scan a drawing.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The Logictech is the wireless I use. As I mentioned, it goes to sleep, meaning the LED goes dim, but really, when you are done with your session, flip it over and turn the switch OFF> Battery lasts a long time that way. I used to just leave them on, and battery life was OK, but a lot better if I turn the lights off, so to speak.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm laptop acclimated, I carried one with my commtech job.
            I've used laptops, since the late 80s.
            Since I used them mobile, I didn't use a mouse, used the touchpad with tapping.
            If you don't use the tapping, a touchpad is a pain and hard to use, because the left and right selectors are harder to push than a regular mouse.
            Tapping makes the built in touchpad fast and easy.
            We have 3 computer stations more or less.
            Sharon has her's on a small cabinet desk in the kitchen.
            I have another laptop on my desk in a back bedroom.
            The main one I use is here in the living room, I set it on the right arm of my recliner.
            This one takes most of the use and abuse. lol
            Our main printer is in the kitchen next to Sharon's computer.
            It is wifi, and we use it from all laptops from all over the house.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 12-18-2016, 05:47 PM.
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              My big concern with cordless mice is always battery life.
              My concern with cordless mouse, is that I'll lose the dam' thing. Not a problem when the mouse is attached with a leash (cable) to the computer.

Last time I went to buy a mouse at Staples, I insisted on the wired one. Yes "the", there was only one. The salesman gave me such a face, as if to say "you neanderthal goofus, get with the program!" Yeh I know sonny, I'm not hip enough to keep up with your generation. Now go look at your plastic pocket pal kid, see if you have any new Farcebook friends, that's what's important.

If I got a wireless mouse, I'd have a fit if I couldn't operate a computer because I was out of AA batteries, or if a battery leaked inside the mouse & kept me offline until I replaced it. Day comes I get one, I won't get one. I'll get two. That's progress, right?
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Leo, like you said at post end.
                For ten bucks buy two.
                I have multiple laptops with built-in touchpads, so I can get by till I get new AA batteries!

BTW I still have several corded mice, but they all have ps1 connectors, and don't fit anymore!
                Terry

Comment

I am about as non-computer literate as they come, and even I have a backup mouse in the drawer. yes, wireless. I carry a spare guitar cord and a spare strap, why not a spare mouse?

I guess if you carry the computer around, a mouse is just an extra thing, but I only compute at home, or in the now closed shop.

I have a ball from an older mouse in my box of odd shit. The hard ball covered with rubber stuff. I have it there to see if people can figure out what it is.

I learned to type on a typewriter - ask your dad what those are. SO I naturally hit the keys hard. I wear out keyboards. Not only do I wear the paint off the keys - nothing left but Q. Z, and J. But I wear THROUGH the keys. My fingernails slowly eat away the plastic. I have one with a hole all the way through the E and O keys. The local university surplus yard sells used computers and stuff. The hard drives are wiped. They sell perfectly good Dell keyboards for $5. I am using one now. They have a large crate full of wired mice, some were PS connectors, but others are USB, and they were asking like $2.

Comment

I beat the letter paint off the keyboards too.
                    It helps, if you keep your fingernails cut short.
                    I don't beat real hard, just lots of it. lol
                    If you curve your fingers, and hit on the ends, which I do, it does beat the paint off.
                    I also use the indentions on the f and j, that way I can type in the semi dark watching tv, without looking at the keyboard.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      I learned to type on a typewriter - ask your dad what those are. SO I naturally hit the keys hard.
                      Me too, in school, but they were all electric. That was almost 40yrs. ago and they frowned on the 'old' mechanical types back then.
                      What I really need is a keyboard I can connect to my phone for texting.

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      I also use the indentions on the f and j, that way I can type in the semi dark watching tv, without looking at the keyboard.
                      T
                      Well, something new to learn today! Or something I forgot since typing class.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Like I said, I've not used a mouse much, I've always used laptop touch pads with tapping.
                        Using the 3 button optical scroll mouse, I've been noticing some of the things you can do with it.
                        The common stuff, left, right click, & Scroll with the wheel.
                        The wheel click, or switch is what I didn't know about.
                        In Firefox, hover over a bookmark, or website, and click.
                        You get the web site in a new tab.
                        Click on a firefox tab at the top, and it closes it out.
                        Click on the blank area near the tabs, and it opens a new tab.
                        There may be other functions for the scroll click that I haven't discovered yet?
                        So far the small opti-mouse, has had good battery life.
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how you lose a mouse? Doesn't it stay with the computer that has the USB end inserted? Jeez, reminds me of when my kids used to take the TV remote in the basement. What the hell do you need it down there for? The TV is upstairs.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out how you lose a mouse? Doesn't it stay with the computer that has the USB end inserted?
                            Not these new fangled wireless mouses. That's why I insist on a wired one. Heck my fave is an old track ball model. Try to find one of those now, you might as well ask for a stegosaurus steak.

Jeez, reminds me of when my kids used to take the TV remote in the basement. What the hell do you need it down there for? The TV is upstairs.
                            The kids were testing "how remote" the control would work.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Not sure on the battery life.
                              The product description says 1 year battery life.
                              It comes with the one AA battery required to run it.
                              Most of us have AA 1.5V batteries laying around.
                              We seem to use lots of those here around the house.
                              I get hand fatigue using the touchpad, doing repetitive things like solitare, or mahjongg.
                              So I fire up the mouse for that.
                              The rest of the time I leave the cordless mouse off on my side table, next to my Chair.
                              I use the touchpad when typing.
                              BTW, when the cordless mouse is on, both the laptop touchpad, and the cordless mouse work at the same time.
                              Unless you go to options, and turn off the touchpad. Both being on, I actually like!
                              T
                              I wanted to report back on my small cordless mouse.
                              I used to turn it off, but because the switch on the rear is recessed, and a bit unhandy to turn on and off all the time?
                              Now most of the time I just leave it on.
                              I still can get at least 6 months on one 1.5V AA battery.
                              Which IMO is amazing, and cheap to use.
                              I push it around on the Arm of my recliner, in the TV room.
                              I've used it enough that all the printing is rubbed off, and it is smooth and shiny!
                              Give one a try, I highly recommend it!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X