help!, i owne a carvin mts 3200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!, i owne a carvin mts 3200

I bought a carvin mts3200 head and it came with 3 el34 and 1 6l6 mesaboogie in the socket v9-6l6gc, I did not realize that when I bought it, I have it in 50w mode, where I live turned out to be complicated to get tubes, and the importation It will take longer than I thought, since I used the head to volume less than 1 and I do not notice anything strange and I bought the head the only thing I want to do is to use it but, what can happen if I continue using the head until I get import valves A new set? thx for future help to all who love music, play it and resolve our questions and gear troubles

In half power mode, V6 & V9 aren't doing anything anyway so it won't matter what tubes are in those sockets or if there are even tubes in those sockets at all. If you don't plan to use it in full power mode, you don't even need to bother with ordering tube(s), unless there's some other problem with the tubes. Here's a schematic if you care to see how it works. When you switch the amp to half power, the cathodes of V6 & V9 are removed from ground so they do not conduct.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/amps/MTS3200REV-E.pdf

P.S. Welcome to the place!
    Last edited by The Dude; 12-21-2016, 10:13 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

thank u very much, i feel happy now , this forum its the best

Comment

Where should the tube switch be set? Don't 6L6's need more bias voltage?

Comment

The single 6L6 is in a socket that is not working in half power mode. As I read it, the rest of the tubes are EL34's, so the switch should be set for EL34.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes, it is set for el34 bias

Comment

personally, i would remove the tubes in V6 and V9, especially as if you ever put it in full power mode (even by accident) the 6L6 will be in circuit, and we don't want that causing any damage to the tube or output transformer (due to 1x EL34 and 1x 6L6 in parallel)
              I don't know enough about the bias of these two tubes to say if it will cause damage, but better to be safe
              Also, the PT wont have to supply heater current for V6 and V9 so it will run a little cooler

Comment

Working...
              X