Static while recording with new mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static while recording with new mic

So I recently bought a CAD audio GXL2600USB microphone (here's a link if that helps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQNVPSA..._.CEzyb863E288) and while recording, there is a lot of white noise or 'static' in the background and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. It's just a straight plug and play USB microphone and I am plugging it straight into my laptop. I tried recording with audacity, fl studio, and plain old windows speech recorder. Please help!
    Last edited by Marshmallow; 12-30-2016, 10:04 AM.

Have you read all the instructions for the microphone, the sound card in your lap top and the interface software? There may be a sensitivity mismatch between the microphone and the computer input/sound card. This can result in a higher noise floor. The microphone may have a switch on it (I didn't read about it) and your sound card may have user adjustable parameters in it's own or the interface software? You want the microphone output to be as close as possible to the maximum allowable input for the sound card short of clipping. Information on how to achieve this should be available in literature specific to your devices. Interpreting the information, relating the devices to each other and learning a solution can seem daunting, but the answer is there. You might be able to shorten the process by focusing on terms like "sensitivity", "noise floor" and "unity".
    Last edited by Chuck H; 12-30-2016, 04:06 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Have you turned off your wifi? That will cause all manor of hisses, clicks, and pops if left on. If you must have internet access, hard wire it with an Ethernet cable.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
        Have you turned off your wifi? That will cause all manor of hisses, clicks, and pops if left on. If you must have internet access, hard wire it with an Ethernet cable.
        We had just gave our Grandson a battery operated clock that shines stars on the ceiling. It put out so much Hash the baby monitor would go crazy. Pull the batteries out of the clock no more issues. I believe the old timers had a trick involving a AM radio to track down interference.

Nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          +1. It never fails to catch me off guard when I set my cell phone down on the computer desk. Static-y noise to be sure. I really freaked out the first time I had a wireless guitar transmitter hanging right next to the phone that was on a belt holster. I thought the room was about to blow up!
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Can you post a sample so we can hear the nature of the noise?
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Sadly, the microphone came with absolutely no 'instructions' other than a little paper that showed the parts. The microphone doesn't have a switch and As far as any adjustable parameters on my sound card in my laptop I have no idea. I adjusted the listening volume in the properties menu of the microphone in my laptop, and I primarily ise audacity to record, and the settings I use with it match up with the specs I have set for the microphone. Can you give me any more information on changing settings with my sound card?

Comment

I am currently not at home and won't be for a few days, but when I get back I will post a sample. It sounds just like straight up static or white noise. I moved the mic way away from everything and in an almost silent environment and I can still hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallow View Post
                  I am currently not at home and won't be for a few days, but when I get back I will post a sample. It sounds just like straight up static or white noise. I moved the mic way away from everything and in an almost silent environment and I can still hear it.
                  So you can move the laptop and microphone to different spaces and get the noise. Have you tried a different room, different building? Can you take your laptop to a music store and audition one of their mics, just to prove where in the hardware chain the noise is generated?

And not to be picky, but is it more like static (random, 'clicky') or more like white noise (smooth, 'hissy')? Whatever the interference is may be identified by its signature. Looking forward to a sound sample.
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Here is your best bet Contact Support: (Toll Free)-800-762-9266 or email support@cadaudio.com. They should be able to tell if the noise is abnormal. Then you can decide what to do - replace or get refund. It is supposed to be "studio quality", not that that means much.
                    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X