Carvin BX500 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin BX500 question

This guy had me look at his carvin BX500 Said there was no output on it.
    So tested the speaker first it works was 4 ohm. tested hos speakon cable works on another amp and check his power cord all good. Looking at the settings especially on the back there is a setting for the speaker 2ohm or 4 ohm. It was on 2 ohm. My question is this would playing it on 2ohm with a 4 ohm load maybe send it into protect mode?
    I just spent about a half hr with it on the 4ohm setting playing it maxxed. Head on top of the cabinet with a rubber mallet in hand hitting the amp to check for anything that might ground it out.

My shed is off grade and my feet are still tingling from the bass vibrations

Nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Nope. It's a solid state output amp, so I wouldn't think a higher impedance load would cause a protect circuit to engage. A lower than rated might, but that's not the case. Bad bass cable? Dead batteries in an active bass? Intermittent loop jacks? Try plugging something into the return jack. Remove it very slowly and see if you can make the output cease. Those switching jacks can be very intermittent.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Nope. It's a solid state output amp, so I wouldn't think a higher impedance load would cause a protect circuit to engage. A lower than rated might, but that's not the case. Bad bass cable? Dead batteries in an active bass? Intermittent loop jacks? Try plugging something into the return jack. Remove it very slowly and see if you can make the output cease. Those switching jacks can be very intermittent.
      Will do that tomorrow. Another question, being that Solidstate amp don't care as much on speaker load what is the benefit of having that option to change from 2ohm to 4ohm (power output?)

nosaj

Comment

Oh, they care. It's just sort of opposite tube amps. Solid state amps don't like loads that are lower than rated impedance.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

A schematic lets us discuss your circuit more knowledgeably.

Typically a 4 ohm load tries to draw twice the current rom an amp that an 8 ohm does. A 2 twice a 4. But some solid state amps include an output matching transformer so you can get full power at all impedances.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

45500_revf.pdf
            Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            A schematic lets us discuss your circuit more knowledgeably.

Typically a 4 ohm load tries to draw twice the current rom an amp that an 8 ohm does. A 2 twice a 4. But some solid state amps include an output matching transformer so you can get full power at all impedances.
            Here you go.

I think I had an old Peavey cabinet that had a transformer on it. 70s I think

nosaj

Comment

Hey I just got the BX600 with exact same problem. Anyone figure this out?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mickteroo View Post
                Hey I just got the BX600 with exact same problem. Anyone figure this out?

Thanks!
                Please describe your problem, "no sound" can point to 1000 different problems and in any case nosaj didn't explain what he did, went straight from no sound to earthquake.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  Please describe your problem, "no sound" can point to 1000 different problems and in any case nosaj didn't explain what he did, went straight from no sound to earthquake.
                  The guy said it had no output. I took it home and it worked just fine. I opened it up check it out. Cleaned the jacks, but never got it to act up The guy never had any more issues. I didnot have his cable or his bass though, just my test bass.

nosaj

Comment

Nothing to see here, move along.
                    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                    X