Tap water on cleaning sponge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap water on cleaning sponge?

I recently read a post on another forum that said you should always use distilled water on your solder cleaning sponge, because tap water contains minerals that will contaminate the solder and cause weak solder joints. Is there any validity to that advice, or is it just more internet misinformation?

I have soldered for over 60 years, and I don;t recall ever having that happen. I wipe the tip off on the sponge. I am not concerned with a tiny amount of mineral wealth.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Christ, you're old.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I had wondered about this. Then I stopped. Shiny, smooth joints that don't show surface tension to the component lead, pad, eyelet, turret, whatever, are good joints. A fraction of a percentage of any mineral in the water probably doesn't matter much.?. Coupeville has some of the worst water I've ever known. That's the only reason I ever thought about this. Consider that in order to be detrimental to the joint the contaminant would have to be active. Nothing in the water that can get into the solder at over 600*F is going to be active in a way that erodes metal. And a mineral content of less than a percent probably isn't even going to be testable for any continuity detriment.?.

Just thinking out loud.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Christ? yeah we were in third grade together, then I went into math and science, and I think he was into some sort of social science stuff.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well if you get your water from a Flint, MI tap you might be adding Pb to the joint.

Too soon?

Comment

I'd say it depends on how hard the local water is. My old Portland water was nearly as ion-free as store bought distilled, but other places may be too hard and distilled would be a better choice. Maybe it's:

"if you can't get lather to soap off the grunge, you'd best use DI on your solder sponge"

Comment

Flint water adds the lead, so you need to add a little extra tin to compensate.

Comment

Flux takes care of contaminants. Most fluxes momentarily become acid when heated and will neutralize any alkali content of hard water. How much dissolved minerals are we talking about? Probably analyzed as X parts per million. I bet the joint itself, surface oxide on the solder wire and compounds leaching from the sponge represent a greater %. Thinking about it, you're wiping the bit along with its contaminants onto the sponge and further polluting the water. I don't work on aerospace equipment or clean-room gear. Just amps, guitars, pedals and regular stuff. Maybe it bothers those people.

The time I begin to worry about water contaminants is the time I hang up my tools and walk away from this.

Future generations will look back at the internet and think much of it to be madness. Just like the McCarthy years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                    Flux takes care of contaminants. Most fluxes momentarily become acid when heated and will neutralize any alkali content of hard water. How much dissolved minerals are we talking about? Probably analyzed as X parts per million. I bet the joint itself, surface oxide on the solder wire and compounds leaching from the sponge represent a greater %. Thinking about it, you're wiping the bit along with its contaminants onto the sponge and further polluting the water. I don't work on aerospace equipment or clean-room gear. Just amps, guitars, pedals and regular stuff. Maybe it bothers those people.

The time I begin to worry about water contaminants is the time I hang up my tools and walk away from this.

Future generations will look back at the internet and think much of it to be madness. Just like the McCarthy years.
                    I've never used a sponge, I've alway used a copper dish scrubber similar to what Hakko sells. been doing just fine with it being that the copper is soft. I pick them up at the dollar store, been using the same tip since 2010,

nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

And I often just use the fabric of my blue jeans on my leg. A quick wipe, doesn;t have time to burn through, cleans the tip just fine.

Comment

Jeans? Pfft... Why ruin a good pair of jeans? I wipe mine on my tongue you pansy
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Don't call ME a pansy, you sissy.

Comment

Both of you guys,...... go to your rooms!
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

HE STARTED IT!!!! Oh, I NEVER get to have any FUN.

Comment

Working...
                              X