Power Tube Mod 6161 Gretsh Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tube Mod 6161 Gretsh Twin

Looking To Clarify a Mod that aLows the Amp to use 6cz5 Output Tubes Instead of Expensive 6973 Outpute Tubes
    I have Read.....4 Solder Points....Jump 2pin to Pins 8.......on the Ouput Tube Socket

Also to make the Amp Accept Either Tube I have heard Jump Pins 1 to 8 on the Output tube Socket

This may be a Stupid Question.... is this Pin 2 to 2 and 8 to 8 (Like a Parrel Connection) or is this Crossing 2 over to 8

Same With the Mod to Accept Either Tube.... 1 Crossed to 8.... or 1 to 1 & 8 to 8

has Any One Made this Mod..... Any Thouhgts???

Look at the base wiring in a tube manual or spec sheets for the two tubes.

Pin 2 is not connected on either tube. WHy would we bother to jump pin 2 to anything?

The two pin out about the same. The 6CZ5 has an internal connection to pin 8, so we would not want to wire anything to pin 8. Since both tubes have the screen grid wired to pin 1 anyway, why would we bother wiring anything to pin 8?

The only difference between the tubes' pinout is pin 8. If you wire a socket for the 6CZ5, and leave pin 8 unwired, then either tube will work in the socket. If you have existing gear that uses 6973s, move anything wired to pin 8 over to pin 1 of the same socket. That is all.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the Simple Break Down....That Sounds Too Easy...I am Ordering Both types of Tubes.... After the Simple Mod I will Let you know the Results... I here the Cheaper 6cz5 Sound the Same as the 6973....Thanks Alot!!

Comment

Working...
      X