15" in a 2x12 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" in a 2x12 combo

Every now and then I see a big 15" in 2x12" combo amplifier cabinets... Anyone here got any suggestions for a dude that is curious and like to try it in a new build?

Do I jam in a 8" parallel to the big element? Any prefered speaker?

Thanks!
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I don't know why you would parallel an 8. Are you playing bass? For 6 string guitar the 15 would usually be a single "full range" speaker. There aren't many new to choose from, but t's better than twenty years ago when there were none. You can also get vintage 15" 8 ohm full range speakers on *bay. Most sound quite decent for guitar. It's not a rock sound and certainly not a metal sound. Think rockabilly, jazz, clean country and blues. They all sound different, like all 12's sound different, but to compare to 12's a 15 would have an even, hollow bottom end with a little more mid scoop. The top end varies a lot as it does in 12's but I usually think 15's are a little softer sounding in the HF. It's a great sound for the right application. Stevie certainly did ok with his Vibroverb's

When you say a 15 in a 2x12 are you talking about bolting a 15 onto a 2x12 baffle or changing the baffle to a single 15? Because that would just be a 15 and not a 2x12 at all anymore wouldn't it
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
      Every now and then I see a big 15" in 2x12" combo amplifier cabinets... Anyone here got any suggestions for a dude that is curious and like to try it in a new build? Do I jam in a 8" parallel to the big element? Any prefered speaker?
      Just happen to have a nearly new RI Twin Reverb 15" 'custom' here for a little work. Its owner is a top-flite steel guitarist & its good to have the extra low end for low tuned strings on lap steels & the like. OTOH the back is open just like a regular twin so the low end boost is incremental. A closed back cab, or at least more closed than it is would help even more. The speaker in this one is a sort of JBL inspired copy made by Eminence, its aluminum dust dome acts as sort of tweeter. I don't know if you can buy this speaker on the open market or have to source it thru Fender with accompanying markup. Similar speakers available from Weber (see "California" models.) And there's lots of other 15 choices. Even the cheapest Eminence Legend 15's sound good to me, Jensen's 120W MOD sounds a treat too.

Adding an 8? Sure, Sano & some other brands did this in the good old days, but they were aiming at the accordion players who ran 'em at polite volumes. They commonly ran in parallel, no crossover, occasionally a small resistor in the feed to the 8". So we find a lot of blown 8" in these amps when they come in for help. It doesn't take much effort to add a nominal crossover, simply a 100V or more film cap 5 uF more or less, to block low frequencies going to the 8". Problem is, if you play with distortion whether pushing the amp hard, or cascading preamps, or from pedals, the high frequency overtones from the distorted signal find their way to that now suffering 8", doesn't sound all that good (clacky), and the extra power threatens to pop the poor little thing. So, depending on your playing style it might be an asset. If you're looking for a nice wide range "hi fi" tone say for clean jazz style, then it could be an asset. Rockin' out loud, maybe not so much.

Originally posted by Chuck_H
      It's not a rock sound and certainly not a metal sound.
      About 20 years ago I was called up to a Woodstock area studio to fix a couple ailing Marshalls belonging to a band that was recording there, with no less than Eddie Kramer producing. "Three Piece Band From Hell" ran their modded Marshalls thru 2x15 cabs loaded with EV's. No problem with the tones here! Even more so with down-tuned guitars. Eddie was lovin' it and said he could recommend EV 15's to any rocker looking for a thick heavy tone: "I wonder why more of them don't do this?" Indeed... why not? I guess 4x12's are "tradition, tradition!" OTOH, what ever happened to that band? Lost in the sauce of history, more also-rans.

And Ted Nugent has been spotted playing half a dozen Super Twins, each driving a 2x18 Peavey cab besides the built in 2x12's. Not the sound everybody's looking for, but you can't deny Nuge has a helluva tone and an extended career. Some THUMP outta that rig I'm sure!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Oh yeah. There are no "rules" per se. I was definitely speaking in general about the application. And you were definitely not I think a 15" full range EV bottom loaded sealed back cab and a pair of Celestion V30's in a sealed top cab should make a damn fine metal rig in this modern 7 string and drop B age.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The idea is to have a baffle cut out for this. I have a soft spot for jensen speakers, specially in live situation.

I have toyed with the idea of trying to find a speaker, or elements, that can deliver both bass and guitar tones. This particular build was going to be a guitar amp... If you have suggestions I'm all ears, eh... yolo.
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

fane axa 15b-300
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Working...
            X