No announcement yet.

Silver face Fender Champ-needs work, lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the feedback, it has been really helpful. I've been watching ebay prices to know that $225-250 is realistic so I'm not going to get rich. My goal is to return the amp to working condition for another generation.

The fuse was a 2 1/2 amp so the the 470 cathode resistor probably gave its life to protect it. I did find a youTube video (and some Google images) that showed the line cord as a 3-wire heavy duty cord so I think mine is original. The 2-pin plug is not original or safe and needs to go away.

I'm not a guitar player so I'll probably go with a speaker that is reasonably priced and close to the original. Again, not trying to get rich but I don't want to be upside down when the project is done. The Realistic is an 8 ohm so it can be repurposed in my ham shack.

Next step is to bench test the transformers. Once I'm over that hurdle the rebuilding can begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtmenges View Post
      We used those white Mallory caps at Crown back in the '70s. Techs made a point to keep their faces away from them on first power up. Even new they tended to go off like an M-80.
      I remember Crown's service bulletin that recommended changing out white Mallory's. Now I do the same when I encounter 'em in Fenders or anywhere else. Generally a good company Mallory, but everybody has some dud things they make.

Got a DC-300A lurking around here, the only one I've never been able to fix. One of these days I'll ask you for some help on that. Love those amps!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
      X