Thread: 6CZ5

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 847/1
    Given: 690/1

6CZ5

I'm looking for some 6CZ5 tubes. I can find them, but I thought if somebody here was wanting to get rid of some, I could help out. Reply or PM me if you want to work a deal. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,713/4
    Given: 1,888/0
    If no one chimes in...

The 6973 tube is supposed to be a good sub in most amps. The specs are similar enough (the 6973 actually looks a little burlier) the only difference I can see in the pinout is that the 6CZ5 has G2 connected to pin 1 and nothing on pin 8 and the 6973 has G2 connected to pin 1 and pin 8. So check the sockets to be sure pin 8 isn't being used as a benign lug. EH is making a current production 6973 for $18 and change.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 847/1
    Given: 690/1
    Thanks for the head's up! I knew it was a sub, but hadn't really gotten around to checking details, yet. It's for an old Magnatone Custom 280. I just emailed an estimate to the customer. I'm not even %100 he's going to go ahead with the repairs. Just getting my ducks in a row.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Magnatone actually changed that amp from 6CZ5 tubes (280) to 6973 tubes (280A). I don't what might be connected to pin 8 on the 280 model though since I've never seen one. So yeah. check to be sure.

"Never bet your life on somebody else doing their job." SoulFetish's good friend

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

"Back to the amp. It makes horrible sounds when I play my guitar thru it... because I suck at playing guitar." Mike6158

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 151/1
    Given: 109/0
    The 280a pdf schematic shows V8,9,10,11 listed as 6CZ5,6973. I was under the impression they were both interchangeable.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by mozz View Post
    The 280a pdf schematic shows V8,9,10,11 listed as 6CZ5,6973. I was under the impression they were both interchangeable.
    The way I saw it the 6CZ5 is a slightly lower spec tube than the 6973. So you can put 6973's in an amp that uses 6CZ5's (provided the pin 8 thing isn't a problem) but you can't always put 6CZ5's into an amp that uses 6973's if the amp pushes the tubes in voltage and/or current.

Thread Information