6CZ5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6CZ5

I'm looking for some 6CZ5 tubes. I can find them, but I thought if somebody here was wanting to get rid of some, I could help out. Reply or PM me if you want to work a deal. Thanks!
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

If no one chimes in...

The 6973 tube is supposed to be a good sub in most amps. The specs are similar enough (the 6973 actually looks a little burlier) the only difference I can see in the pinout is that the 6CZ5 has G2 connected to pin 1 and nothing on pin 8 and the 6973 has G2 connected to pin 1 and pin 8. So check the sockets to be sure pin 8 isn't being used as a benign lug. EH is making a current production 6973 for $18 and change.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the head's up! I knew it was a sub, but hadn't really gotten around to checking details, yet. It's for an old Magnatone Custom 280. I just emailed an estimate to the customer. I'm not even %100 he's going to go ahead with the repairs. Just getting my ducks in a row.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Magnatone actually changed that amp from 6CZ5 tubes (280) to 6973 tubes (280A). I don't what might be connected to pin 8 on the 280 model though since I've never seen one. So yeah. check to be sure.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The 280a pdf schematic shows V8,9,10,11 listed as 6CZ5,6973. I was under the impression they were both interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
            The 280a pdf schematic shows V8,9,10,11 listed as 6CZ5,6973. I was under the impression they were both interchangeable.
            The way I saw it the 6CZ5 is a slightly lower spec tube than the 6973. So you can put 6973's in an amp that uses 6CZ5's (provided the pin 8 thing isn't a problem) but you can't always put 6CZ5's into an amp that uses 6973's if the amp pushes the tubes in voltage and/or current.

Comment

Working...
            X