Peavey Delta Blues Distorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Delta Blues Distorted

I have 2 Peavey amps ... a Classic 30 and a Delta Blues 2x10. According to Peavey, they are identical but for speakers, tremolo on one and physical size. Both are Made in USA, both are 2014.

I just got my Delta Blues last week from a Guitar Center a 1000 miles away. It was advertised as in mint condition.
    Cosmetically - yes - performance wise, she sucks badly! The reason I bought it was because I tried one in a store down here and it blew me away. I had to have one because of the 10" speakers.
    Well, I got it fairly cheap so while I waited, I ordered new stock tubes and a pair of Celestion Gold 10" . Sure enough, when it came and I plugged her in, there was a very light, tone robbing distortion right from the #1 position of the dial and up. When turning up, it did not intensify, it remained light and fuzzy.
    Well, piss me off! In go the new pre and power tubes with my happy ass whistling Dixie and other great southern hits, only to have the EXACT same condition.

So, with the speakers and all tubes changed out where do I go next in my trouble shooting?
    I have great soldering and assembly skills BUT I am no way a technician. Just desperately trying to save cash that I don't have.
    BTW, the Classic 30 is flawless!

Originally posted by old guy View Post
    So, with the speakers and all tubes changed out where do I go next in my trouble shooting?
    It's possible one of your new expensive Celestion Golds is defective. How disappointing, but sometimes NEW does not guarantee GOOD. Try your DB thru a known good working speaker. If that "very light, tone robbing distortion right from the #1 position of the dial and up" continues then we have to look at the amp. It might be simple as under biased output tubes, or an open screen grid resistor, or bad as a defective output transformer.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

OG mentioned that the problem existed BEFORE the speaker change. That doesn't negate your observation at all, but it does change the focus. For me anyway.

Fully agree about seeing to it and then going into the circuit though. I also concur with the initial considerations about potential circuit faults.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Have you ever taken either of these amps apart? The circuit boards are folded up three sided with jumpers connecting the three boards and are a PITA to work on. These jumpers tend to loosen up when unfolding them and can create additional problems. I would suggest getting a hold of G.C. and inform them of the problem. They should provide you with a working amp! You can save the Celestion Golds for a speaker update on a different working amp.
        Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

This is a used amp. I'm sure GC will try to help, but in a limited liability way Pretty sure they won't feel obligated to find OG another 2014 Delta Blues and ship it to him.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            This is a used amp. I'm sure GC will try to help, but in a limited liability way Pretty sure they won't feel obligated to find OG another 2014 Delta Blues and ship it to him.
            Bingo ... besides, deal was too good to be true - it was their description that was a bit BSitty

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              It's possible one of your new expensive Celestion Golds is defective. How disappointing, but sometimes NEW does not guarantee GOOD. Try your DB thru a known good working speaker. If that "very light, tone robbing distortion right from the #1 position of the dial and up" continues then we have to look at the amp. It might be simple as under biased output tubes, or an open screen grid resistor, or bad as a defective output transformer.
              New golds go into my Super first. Nothing that this Homey buys gets installed before testing... too old to screw around. All 7 tubes went into my 'known' working Classic 30 - BOTH DB ones and the new set I purchased for the DB. Now, back to discussion ...

Comment

Originally posted by DRH1958 View Post
                Have you ever taken either of these amps apart? The circuit boards are folded up three sided with jumpers connecting the three boards and are a PITA to work on. These jumpers tend to loosen up when unfolding them and can create additional problems. I would suggest getting a hold of G.C. and inform them of the problem. They should provide you with a working amp! You can save the Celestion Golds for a speaker update on a different working amp.
                Not yet although since both amps are identical but for a tremolo circuit and speakers, I thought I could use the Classic 30 only as a visual guide in case some junior rockstar tried to mod something improperly.
                Boy, this is turning out to be some upcoming week ... working on my bread & butter Super Reverb as well as this DB.

Comment

I would hope that an amp arriving basically non-working would merit some form of compensation at least monetarily so you can look for a different one. It's not like you got it off Craigslist with all sales final. Anyway, here's what you're up against in case you haven't looked for a gut shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta Blues.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	844659
                  Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
                    New golds go into my Super first. Nothing that this Homey buys gets installed before testing... too old to screw around. All 7 tubes went into my 'known' working Classic 30 - BOTH DB ones and the new set I purchased for the DB. Now, back to discussion ...
                    Then the game is on - problem must be inside the amp and as noted it is a pia to work on. I'm impressed with your thoroughness in testing your new parts before installation. Everything's calm as could be here , as long as I avoid paying attention to the news .

You can check OT primary windings continuity with an ohm meter, same for screen grid resistors. If both tests reveal no problem, it sure would be good to pass a sine wave thru the amp & watch output on a scope, that would show insufficient bias current as a crossover notch on the amp's output, or might indicate something else unexpected like a distortion induced by drive stage, or possibly ultrasonic oscillation.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Don't these have an FX loop? How does it sound if you plug into the FX return (or pwr amp in)?
                      Does the Classic 30 have a loop? Run pre-out (send) of one amp into pwr amp in of the other amp, and vice versa. At least then you can narrow down to pre or pwr amp (or power supply if both pre and pwr sound bad).
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by DRH1958 View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]42230[/ATTACH]
                        yuk

Comment

Working...
                        X