Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 171 knobs!

I'm sure some of you have been there.
    16 channel mixer, ten knobs per channel plus more for effects/routing/etc. Just to replace a couple bad surface mount opamps, but all those knobs have to be removed and then replaced.

Ooohh, actually 192 with the fader knobs!

Drink time!

Dude, don't you have a 8x8 raster nut driver? Would take two seconds.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

It makes you so paranoid about the reassembly. Like, you know how you check function while it's open, and then reassemble, and then it's broken? That sucks.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

The worst part is trying to make a customer understand why the labor is so expensive just to replace those 2 op amps.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I had a church bring me over (they wanted me to do the work there) A large Mackie board with full extender. I counter 950 some odd knobs, 260 jack nuts, a couple hundred screws fro XLRs, plu the screws holding the panel. The ribbon kit alone was $300. I charged $700 for the whole deal as a gift.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            I'm sure some of you have been there. 16 channel mixer, ten knobs per channel plus more for effects/routing/etc. Just to replace a couple bad surface mount opamps, but all those knobs have to be removed and then replaced. Ooohh, actually 192 with the fader knobs!
            Things like this were designed to be made, not fixed. Borders on disposable.

Yes how to convince ye crustomer that the bill is reasonable.

Geeze you could get some hi school dropout to R&R all those controls and knobs for 7 bucks an hour. Then you go in, replace the op amps in 15 minutes. $65 sounds about right... Yes it looks a lot different from either side of the cash register.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
              Dude, don't you have a 8x8 raster nut driver? Would take two seconds.

BZZz..incorrect.
              No nuts on top of pots, but all knobs have to be removed to access board.

Comment

Pot nuts would be just rubbing it in. I am with you on this one drewl.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For really old units you give a quick spray of pot cleaner in every one and a quick twist 'n' turn back & forth. I remember after cleaning 70 pots right in a row that your fingers get a bit raw. The whole thing is Nuts!
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I have a box with about 20 empty butter buckets in it that I use to keep all of the knobs, nuts & washers separate.

A nice photo of the board also helps get the knobs back on where they belong.

Comment

That's what I did, took a pic, separate hardware by location.

Still have a bunch of parts left from another 16 channel Mackie that had a board short, owner didn't want fixed and told me to keep.

Tons of jacks and kmobs and a giant PC board.
                      Fixed alot of stuff from that carcass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        I have a box with about 20 empty butter buckets in it that I use to keep all of the knobs, nuts & washers separate. A nice photo of the board also helps get the knobs back on where they belong.
                        The old muffin tins are good for this too. "Like" the photo idea, funny it was mentioned by Klick 'n Klack many years ago for auto repair. I've also used it for organizing tour truck packs. Put that camera to work!
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Throw it out and get an Allen & Heath Mix Wiz or GL. Individual channel circuit boards!

Comment

Working...
                          X