No announcement yet.

Filtertron Magnets - Source? Group Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtertron Magnets - Source? Group Buy?

Asking again for the latter date. Anyone have a source for these?

I do know where to get them but they ain't cheap. Anyone want to do a group buy?

Anyone? Bueller?

I can get them for $3.50 a piece but that's for 100 pieces. I'll likely never use 100 pieces.

Comment

What are the specs on the ones you can get as well as country of origin?
      =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Alnico 5 in these dimensions: .525 X .25 X 2.125

USA

Comment

What's wrong with stacking two .125" thick HB mags? You can add a .025 steel shim against the keeper if the width matters.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            What's wrong with stacking two .125" thick HB mags? You can add a .025 steel shim against the keeper if the width matters.
            I don't think there's a problem, per se. I have in my memory a discussion about the difference in properties of two stacked and glued mags as opposed to a single magnet. I don't know if that's been widely discussed here.

But as these correctly sized magnets aren't that much per piece, I thought it might be worth trying them. Likely I'll just buy a small batch at this point and pay more, though it will only be the cost of 2 regular sized bar magnets.

I invite someone to tell me if there is a problem stacking them or if it has the same results.

Comment

Stacking seems to work best with unmagnetized polished magnets rather than rough sand-cast. Once glued together then magnetize.
              Last edited by Jim Darr; 02-16-2017, 05:29 PM.

Jim

Comment

I haven't kept up with the pricing of Chinese magnets but I'm thinking you could get these for around a buck each in quantity. I might be totally off as they would need to be cast to these dimensions. They can't just saw up larger blocks (they only saw to length)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                  Stacking seems to work best with unmagnetized polished magnets rather than rough sand-cast. Once glued together then magnetize.
                  Sure, but my concern isn't gluing them together or charging them once glued.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    I haven't kept up with the pricing of Chinese magnets but I'm thinking you could get these for around a buck each in quantity. I might be totally off as they would need to be cast to these dimensions. They can't just saw up larger blocks (they only saw to length)
                    This will be my next stop although, after shipping, it's usually a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
                      Sure, but my concern isn't gluing them together or charging them once glued.
                      What is your concern?

Jim

Comment

My concern is for the magnetic and tonal properties of 2 improperly sized magnets compared to a correctly sized magnet.

And short of any discussion suggesting there would be no difference, it's a tough concern not to have.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
                          My concern is for the magnetic and tonal properties of 2 improperly sized magnets compared to a correctly sized magnet.

And short of any discussion suggesting there would be no difference, it's a tough concern not to have.
                          Okay I do understand your concern.

My suggestion would be to do an "A" - "B" test using the same wound bobbin(s) for both magnets. That way you could tell what difference, if any, the magnet stacking has on the final sound. But, to be fair for the test, both magnets (Single and Double-Stacked) should be the same ALNICO formulation and from the same maker. If not, you'll get close results which might give you a false conclusion.

I've double-stacked before with good results to my ear. But, as I get older you may hear things that I don't.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
                          Last edited by Jim Darr; 02-17-2017, 07:53 PM.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                            Okay I do understand your concern.

My suggestion would be to do an "A" - "B" test using the same wound bobbin(s) for both magnets. That way you could tell what difference, if any, the magnet stacking has on the final sound. But, to be fair for the test, both magnets (Single and Double-Stacked) should the same ALNICO formulation and from the same maker. If not, you'll get close results which might give you a false conclusion.

I've double-stacked before with good results to my ear. But, as I get older you may hear things that I don't.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
                            But then I'd also have to fabricate 1/4" thick magnets in the same dimensions as regular humbucker magnets AND filtertron magnets, just to test the possibly imperceptible differences.

This sort of testing would negate any savings involved in just stacking them and calling it a day.

Comment

Working...
                            X