Peavey output choke resistor is burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey output choke resistor is burning

I’ve got a very nice, very old Peavey 300 amp from 1971 or thereabouts. The amp works, sounds good. However, it seems to have a penchant for burning up the 22 ohm resistor that sits across the output choke assembly (circles in red in the attached schematic.

I am wondering if the choke could be shorted and causing the resistor to burn? Other suggestions? Might be time to break out the dick smith flyback tester!

TIA.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Peavey - Bass 300-power - burned resistor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	871291

Have you resoldered the inductor to the board?

Comment

Sneaky bad solder joint on one leg of the choke. Desoldered, resoldered, and seems to now work flawlessly. I get the impression this amp has been jostled around the country a few times.

Thanks!

Comment

Follow how a shorted coil could never burn up that resistor. No current could flow through the resistor.

Solder joints do break, but rare as failures there may be, I find more of them as a broken wire on one end of the coil. Easily repaired though.

With a broken or unsoldered coil then ALL speaker current must flow through the resistor, which quickly burns up.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X