Weller PES51 pencil falling apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weller PES51 pencil falling apart

My Weller PES51 soldering pencil is coming apart. The plastic handle is separating from the metal body at the press fit. I have to press it back in a few times per day. Does anyone have a solution to this? Is there an adhesive that would stand up to the heat of use and not choke me with noxious gas at my bench? Thanks.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Total guess- I'm not familiar with the problem, the iron, or a "real" solution. My first thought is some kind of gasket seal/adhesive. If it can withstand manifold heat........
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You wore it out. Good in its own way, it shows you're working! Amazon shows a replacement for $36.07. Chalk it up to "cost of doing business." Free shipping on orders over $50. Order 2 and be prepared, years from now when the next one starts falling apart just swap in your spare and keep rockin'. Good tools are a good investment.

I wouldn't try to glue the old one together. As you suspect it's likely to gas you as it heats, might even catch fire, who needs that?

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-PES51-.../dp/B000DZA5AC
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Some kind of high-temp tape 'shim' ?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Epoxy.

But really I agree with Leo, it wore out, get a new one. Just as you would a set of power tubes.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here is a link for an AOYUE 936 refurhished soldering station for $26.xx with free shipping. It is only 35W (the 936A is 60W like the Haiko.)

Aoyue Basic Soldering Station 936 Refurb. with Free

I got one on sale a few years ago as backup for my Haiko and finally started using it after moving the Haiko out to the workbench in my garage for bigger projects.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
            X