No announcement yet.

Beltone AP-A questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would put the largest most efficient speaker you can fit in there. IMHO most small single ended amps sound best through a 12" speaker in an open back cab. I prefer Eminence, but that's me.

Comment

I think there is room for a 10" speaker in there. I just need to find something in 4ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by rhaigh View Post
        I think there is room for a 10" speaker in there. I just need to find something in 4ohms.
        IIRC Jensen MOD 50 come in every impedance you can imagine, from 4 to 32 ohms. Yes, overkill on the wattage, otoh they're very affordable & sound good. Weber is also good about making speakers in custom impedances, check their website.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Look like you we're right, The Dude. I took the speaker out of the cabinet while still plugged in, and put it on a pillow. I then cranked up the amp and there wasn't any buzz at all. The speaker was fine. So, i put it back in the cabinet, and the buzz came back. When I pushed on the front baffle with my finger, the buzz would go away. So even though the baffle is screwed on tight, there is something there that's vibrating bad. Maybe a loose bit of tolex or grill cloth. I'll have to investigate the source of the buzz further later (it's too late tonight). I still might try another speaker in the future but at least i know that the current speaker is fine. I do like the sound of it for such a small speaker.

Comment

Look like you we're right, The Dude. I took the speaker out of the cabinet while still plugged in, and put it on a pillow. I then cranked up the amp and there wasn't any buzz at all. The speaker was fine. So, i put it back in the cabinet, and the buzz came back. When I pushed on the front baffle with my finger, the buzz would go away. So even though the baffle is screwed on tight, there is something there that's vibrating bad. Maybe a loose bit of tolex or grill cloth. I'll have to investigate the source of the buzz further later (it's too late tonight). I still might try another speaker in the future but at least i know that the current speaker is fine. I do like the sound of it for such a small speaker.
            If it's plywood there may be a void. If not, try some felt strips.

Comment

Turns out that it is the grill cloth vibrating on the baffle board. The grill cloth is directly on the baffle as opposed to having it sit just above. I might have to put a small rim around the baffle board so that when the grill cloth gets pulled tight around, it won't be resting right on the board. Anyone know how much space would probably do? Anyone know of another method to remedy this? Thanks.

Comment

Spray adhesive?
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I took out the speaker and put black, double sided tape around the speaker hole between the baffle and the grill cloth. I only cut out 8 small pieces and put them evenly spaced around the speaker hole perimeter. It seems to have worked as I played the notes that caused the most problem very loud and bassy and no buzz at all. The tape is that stuff that is about 1/16" thick and its black so you can't notice it at all when looking through the grill cloth. It raised the cloth just enough plus its very sticky so it grips the grill cloth good. A nice quick cheap fix.

Comment

I took out the speaker and put black, double sided tape around the speaker hole between the baffle and the grill cloth. I only cut out 8 small pieces and put them evenly spaced around the speaker hole perimeter. It seems to have worked as I played the notes that caused the most problem very loud and bassy and no buzz at all. The tape is that stuff that is about 1/16" thick and its black so you can't notice it at all when looking through the grill cloth. It raised the cloth just enough plus its very sticky so it grips the grill cloth good. A nice quick cheap fix.
                    I've done similarly with thin weatherstrip that's intended to be used as speaker mounting gasket.

Where do you find your black double sided sticky tape?

Comment

The black double sided tape I used is Scotch Mounting tape. I got it from Canadian Tire. Gorilla tape makes one just like it as well available in most hardware stores or on Amazon.
                      https://www.amazon.ca/Gorilla-Heavy-...+Mounting+Tape
                      https://www.amazon.ca/Scotch-Extreme...+mounting+tape

Comment

The black double sided tape I used is Scotch Mounting tape. I got it from Canadian Tire. Gorilla tape makes one just like it as well available in most hardware stores or on Amazon.
                        Thanks for the lead rhaigh!

Comment

If you look at some old cabinets you will see they used black felt strips and contact cement in the same way.

Comment

Working...
                          X