Soldering magnet wire to pad on a PCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering magnet wire to pad on a PCB

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with soldering magnet wire from a coil to a pad on a PCB?

If so, what's the best way of doing so? Can you simply run the wire through the pad hole, make a solder connection on the pad, and call it a day? Or should the connection be reinforced somehow (like we do by wrapping the wire a few times around a flatwork/eyelet connection)? Or is there a nice surface mount connector that can be used?

Clean the enamel off the wire end so it will take solder.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Clean the enamel off the wire end so it will take solder.
      Thanks, Enzo... I know to do this. I was more curious to know if folks thought it might be necessary to reinforce the connection somehow.

Comment

Itīs not a *soldering* or electrical connection prblem per se,but whether said wire willflex near the connection or not.
        Ifitdoes, itwill soon crack and split at the flexing point.

What the solid copper wire is covered with is irrelevant, it may be transformer enamel , plastic or cloth , tinned or naked, itīs the same *mechanically*.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Itīs not a *soldering* or electrical connection prblem per se,but whether said wire willflex near the connection or not.
          Ifitdoes, itwill soon crack and split at the flexing point.

What the solid copper wire is covered with is irrelevant, it may be transformer enamel , plastic or cloth , tinned or naked, itīs the same *mechanically*.

Yeah, I think by leaving a bit of slack in the magnet wire between the coil and the pad, I should be good.

Comment

A lot of the Bartolini pickups are constructed in this way with separate coils for each string. The wire looks like 44AWG or smaller and the pads/connections seem too small to have been hand soldered. The wires always have a bit of slack. I'd love to see their production equipment.

Comment

I leave a bit of slack to the wire and wax pot the pickup after soldering all the wires to the board. I leave the pickup on a table so that the wax will flow over the wires and after cooling it will protect the wires a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X